Installing a new Gas Water Heater

I have a leak in my old Gas Water Heater. I am confused because the heater is empty & was wondering why there is no water constantly running into the Heater. Is it safe to use a flex line instead of solid pipe to hook up the gas line. ?

Reply to
desgnr

desgnr,

Best to check with your local authorities and see what the code requires. I'd go with either solid copper or iron pipe for the gas line and solid copper for the water connections. Based on your confusion you might want to have a professional do it. At least get a permit and have it inspected.

Good luck.

dss

Reply to
dss

We don't have local authorities, local code, or needed permits, thus I replaced one with flex on both the "in" and "out" sides about one year ago and everything has been fine.

As far as the lack of water running in goes, is the valve turned on? If so, open a faucet somewhere and see what happens.

Don

Reply to
IGot2P

Hi, Where do you live?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

It is safe. The companies that make the flexible pipe would have been sued out of existence were they not. Unfortunately, some jurisdictions have not kept up - or the politicians are dominated by blue-collar workmen.

I would think that in homes where the water heater wiggles from time to time (i.e., RVs, mobile homes, earthquake zones), a flexible pipe would be SAFER than its solid counterparts.

Reply to
HeyBub

Well, I'm in Houston. Permits are not needed for ANYTHING done within or to the four walls (water heater installation, circuit breaker box replacement, wall moving, roofing, re-arranging the knick-knacks on the mantle etc.). We also don't have zoning. The politicians leave the folk mostly alone.

We have guns.

Reply to
HeyBub

For the gas line, use threaded black pipe and plumbing tape designed for gas lines (or pipe dope). You can use copper flex lines for the water--makes it much easier for the replacement. You may get a replacement if you call the manufacturer (I did).

Reply to
Phisherman

I heard they stopped using copper flex, cause something in the gas reacts with it. Black iron, it is. The code people may permit stainless flex gas line.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Here in San Diego, you can use flexible pipe for hot water, cold water and the gas line. They require a gas turn-off valve near the heater.

An easy DIY project if you have the strength to handle the old and new heater.

Get a permit and get the heater inspected to make sure everything is OK . Nowadays, most prospective buyers will also want to see the permit. Buyers also want to see a permit for a furnace installation or anything else that legally requires a permit, such as a room addition. A permit does not prevent you from doing the work yourself, except installing a gas furnace and A/C which require a licensed contractor (environmental reasons).

Reply to
Walter R.

Again, you paint with too broad a brush. Only in the most enlightened, environmentally friendly climes is a permit or licensed person required.

In fly-over country, we denizens have to be more self-reliant. We even start our Sunday fried-chicken dinner with: First, catch a chicken (not hard if you know the tricks)...

Reply to
HeyBub

Hi, And Hurricanes, LOL! I have one relative lives down there. He is prof. at Texas U.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

That's really funny. We have made life too complicated!

Reply to
Walter R.

I agree. Even here in NJ I've sold several houses and have yet to have a buyer ask to see a permit for anything. I guess I can see it if there is some wierd botched up looking install of a new room. But for a water heater? Come on.

Reply to
trader4