Install TV cable outlet

Drilling the pilot hole through the drywall just above the baseboard would be a lot easier both in not removing the baseboard, and ease of patching a small hole in the drywall.

Reply to
Pete C.

That would work for most places. Good idea.

Reply to
HeyBub

The next step above that is to make the opening for the LV box and then drill down via that hole using one of the flexi-bits and the guide tool.

Reply to
Pete C.

First you dont need a box, a mud plate is enough or just a wall plate with integrated jack. I cut the hole 12 inches OC from the floor then use my right angle drill and flex bit to drill down through the bottom stud plate. When the drill pops through I tape the cable to the bit (after un-chucking the drill), then pull the bit and cable out at once in the basement.

Reply to
RickH

Good point, and one I'll have to remember, since adding some drops here and there has been on my list here for awhile. However, if you have an odd paint color or wallpaper, even a tiny hole can be a pain to patch. Split the difference- use a couple clean Stanley mini-wonderbars, and a couple sheets of cardboard as shields, and slightly pry the baseboard loose from the wall without removing it. Drill the pilot hole through this crevice with one of the Real Long bits (often in the electrical aisle next to the fish tapes), and then proceed with the hole for old-work box and the cable fishing through the hole drilled from below. Or if the baseboard is painted, just drill right through it on the top edge- trivial to patch if wall is too hard to match.

Some of the bits sold to electricians even have an itty-bitty hole in the spade part, to hook a wire on before you pull the drill back out.

-- aem (who will probably never get around to doing the work) sends....

Reply to
aemeijers

I use an old car antena with a point filed in my drill.I drill at an angle at the base of the wall ,than look under flour to see where it came out. Jr.

1/4 inch rod also works but you have to push harder,,,a long screw driver will even drill a hole if it's in a drill

Jerry - OHIO

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in news:24420-49334760-2102@storefull-

3273.bay.webtv.net:

She's probably speaking from experience of messy or botched projects by the OP.

Reply to
Noahbuddy

I thought locking the wife in the basement was the best suggestion so far. :)

Reply to
metspitzer

Another good option in just pulling the baseboard back a bit.

The ultimate solution if you don't mind spending a few dollars on new tools is the flexi-bits and the guide tool which let you drill the hole straight down from above through the normal LV electrical box hole.

If you haven't seen these, they are essentially a short drill bit welded onto the end of a long small diameter spring steel rod. The guide tool is basically a handle bracket with a couple channels the drill shaft fits in which allows you to reach the bit into the wall cavity through the box hole and bend the shaft so the bit points straight down while the drill (motor) is outside the wall cavity.

Reply to
Pete C.

Why not drill the pilot hole right at the bottom of the baseboard and through the floor. If the hole is small enough it will never be noticed. That's what the Geek Squad did in a friend's house. When I put in a cable wire I didn't even use a box. Just attached the cable to the face plate and fastened it right to the wallboard. No strain on the wire and it's been in about 2 yrs now without a problem. MLD

Reply to
MLD

First you dont need a box, a mud plate is enough or just a wall plate with integrated jack. I cut the hole 12 inches OC from the floor then use my right angle drill and flex bit to drill down through the bottom stud plate. When the drill pops through I tape the cable to the bit (after un-chucking the drill), then pull the bit and cable out at once in the basement.

Right--just posted something very similar to your comments about not needing a box. I was able to see the bottom stud plate from the basement (through the spaces of the floor boards) and with careful measurements was to come up in the wall just where I wanted to be. MLD

Reply to
MLD