Install TV cable outlet

I would like to install a TV cable outlet in a wall that currently does not have one. I have complete access to the floor from my unfinished basement, but I'm not quite sure what to do.

Here are the steps I think I need to take:

1) Cut a hole in the wall next to a stud to mount an electrical box on it. 2) Drill from the basement up into the wall (*** how do I do this? ***) 3) Fish the wire up from the basement into the wall and into the electrical box. 4) Attach faceplate 5) Watch TV

Can anyone offer any insight on how to achieve step 2? I'm extremely nervous about drilling through a stud or some other important part of the house.

Thanks!

Reply to
Gary Poltergeist

Your steps are correct. For #1, don't worry about being next to a stud, because you have no way to nail into that stud. Just make sure you are between studs that are not likely to have pipes or wires between them already. You can get boxes made for mounting directly on the drywall. They are called "old work" boxes as opposed to new work boxes that are used before drywall is in place..

For number 2, figure out where the wall is by making measurements to anything that comes through the basement ceiling already. Then use a

3/4 inch or 1 inch wood bit to drill up through the subfloor and 2x4 plate into the wall cavity. That can be a little nerve racking if you aren't 100% sure you are in the right place.

A simpler alternative is to just drill a smaller hole (the size of the cable) down through the floor behind your TV an inch or so from the wall. If the room is carpeted, you can remove the cable later and not even notice the hole. Just make sure your drill bit doesn't snag the carpet while drilling and pull a runner across the room ;-)

Reply to
greenpjs

Why can't you just drill a 3/8" hole through the floor close to the wall, and just have the cable come up through the floor? You are not going to see it anyway behind the TV, and you don't have to cut any holes in sheetrock. You do not need to put it in a box.

Reply to
Mikepier

You can give yourself a lot easier time by not installing a box for the TV cable. It is not a requirement. This means you only have to find a space between two studs. If you have outlets on the same wall, that will help you determine where the bottom plate for that wall is if they are fed from the bottom.

Reply to
Charlie

step two:

after you have your box hole and before you put the box in it, use a 24" 3/8 bit and drill DOWN through your box hole through the bottom plate into the basement.

leave the bit there until you locate it in the basement, then go down and tie a string to it and pull it back out.

then use the string to pull the coax.

steve

Reply to
Steve Barker DLT

Making a hole in the floor, like has been suggested is no more nontaxable than the extra coax coming out of the box.

If you really want to put a box, what I do is take a coat hanger and cut it short enough to make a drill bit. I drill the coat hanger thru the floor next to the wall so you can see it from underneath.

Reply to
metspitzer

very good points from the other replies. I use the hole next to the baseboard method myself. you can usually get the cable between the tack strip ( if you have carpet ) and the baseboard.

even if you go in the wall, you don't need a box for that either.

Steve Barker DLT

rather than using a "box" it is much easier to use an old work low voltage ring. it's like a plastic old work box without the back. basically just defines the hole and provides the two holes for the cover plate screws, you can see right through into the wall with it. that's what I did when I added a cable drop in my living room. less sharp bends in the cable when you shove everything back into the wall that way.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Thanks for all the replies so far guys. I wish I could drill a hole in the floor, but there's one major issue with that - my wife! :)

"I don't want any holes in my floor".

Reply to
Gary Poltergeist

Step 2: Make a hole in the sheet rock for the electrical box. Use a flex bit to drill down into basement. Then drill up from basement if hole is too small.

Or drill a very small pilot hole in front of box location. From the basement locate pilot hole, measure 2" towards middle of wall and drill up into the wall cavity. You can also drive a nail down for your pilot hole if you don't have a thin enough drill bit. If you don't want to drill a pilot hole where it can be seen, remove the molding and drill or nail the pilot hole then replace the molding. RW

Reply to
Roger W

So I should take off my baseboard to drill the hole down into the floor? I'm worried I could drill right into a joist, or even worse, my main support beam. What about the issue of drilling through the bottom stud of the wall?

Reply to
Gary Poltergeist

So , who's in charge? And besides, the hole will be behind the tv. She'll never know the difference unless you tell.

Steve Barker DLT

that's the whole idea of the little tiny hole and the coat hangar. If your drill is still drilling after 1 1/2" then you've hit a joist. Then move over an inch and go again.

Steve Barker DLT

Cut the hole in the middle of the stud cavity, you will be installing a low voltage "ring" that clamps to the sheetrock, not a full box.

Locate the center of the cavity as best you can from below and drill up with a 3/8" bit, no need for a hole much larger than the cable.

Push the cable up through the hole from below for a couple feet, then reach in through the hole in the drywall (ring not installed yet) to grab the cable and pull it through.

Slip the ring over the cable and install it to the drywall.

Terminate the coax with an "F" connector, and screw it to the "F" barrel connector mounted to the cover plate.

Push the excess coax into the wall cavity and screw the cover plate in place.

I recommend using the modular connector faceplates such as those made by Leviton since they allow you to easily add other connections later for phone, network, etc.

Reply to
Pete C.

For low voltage, use a backless box. They sell them at Home Depot and similar stores. I'll give a link at the end of this. You want to drill up from the bottom, and be sure you are inside the wall cavity. The easiest way for an amateur to do this, is to get a 16" insulation support, it's a thin steel rod 16" long. With a linesman pliers, cut one end of the support at the steepest angle you can, insert the rod into a drill, and drill down from above, at the location of the box opening, right through the flooring, up against the molding. It will drill such a small hole, it won't be noticed. Now go into the basement and with an extension bit, at least 3/8" diameter drill up next to where you see the rod, being sure you are into the wall cavity. Then push up your RG-6 and if necessary find it with a wire snake.

RBM

Measure carefully from a reference point, then measure again to be sure. Drill a 1/8" hole (you may need to purchase a long bit) that your quite sure it will go through the center of the wall base plate. Obviously, you want to avoid a stud. Once the small hole is drilled shine a flashlight to see where you came through, then drill a large enough hole that will allow the coax connector to fit. You don't need a crimping kit if you buy coax of the length needed with fitted ends.

Reply to
Phisherman

Take your wife into the basement and show her there are already holes in her floor. There are wires and pipes already coming through the floor. In fact you may be able to use one of these 'existing' holes.

I used a refridgerator ice maker line hole to run a telephone wire through rather than drill a new hole.

If she doesn't see the point when you have her in the basement then just lock her down there until she does..You have our permission to skip to step 5 (watch tv) while she's mulling it over.

Reply to
in2-dadark

  1. Remove the baseboard.
  2. Cut into the drywall (below baseboard level). This will give you access to the baseplate.
  3. Drill thru the baseplate into the basement (need a LONG drill bit). Drop some colored twine down the hole.
  4. Pull up coax.
  5. Put in an after-work box above the hole in the drywall.
  6. Run coax up to box.
  7. Replace baseboard.

I've run several wires, both coax and electrical, behind baseboards. It's a simple solution.

Reply to
HeyBub

I would revise these excellent steps only slightly: After cutting the low hole in the drywall behind the baseboard, use a _long_ bit on the thinner side to drill a pilot hole down to the basement. From the basement, locate the pilot hole, and use it as the center point to drill a hole a little larger than the coaxial cable straight up inside the wall. This puts less tension on the coax as it comes up through the stringer into the inside of the wall. (Just an extra obsession of mine.) Fish the coaxup through the hole up to where you're putting the box. Replace the baseboard. (Patch the hole beforehand if you're feeling particularly anal/compulsive, as I would.)

Reply to
Kyle

Good idea! I suppose whether to drill a pilot hole might depend, too, on the geometry and available tools.

One problem in removing baseboards is the corner miters. Sometimes you have to start four baseboards back because of the way they overlap! No biggie, though. This is a convenient excuse to take the baseboards outside, fill in the nicks, sand, and repaint them.

Hint: Don't drive out the nails from the baseboard - cut them off from the back.

Reply to
HeyBub