install staple up radiant before hardwood floors?

I am planning on putting in staple up radiant heating for my main floor while I am finishing my basement (since I will have access to the underside of the floor). At a future date I want to remove the linoleum floor on the main floor and put in hardwood floors, the real oak flooring that you have to nail down. I know my floor has 3/4 plywood, do I run a serious risk with nails going through the subfloor and puncturing the radiant? or do the nails normally not go that deep? I will use a pneumatic floor nailer.

Reply to
beerguzzler50

The flooring staples I have used will penetrate the 3/4" plywood. There are a few options.

I once ordered 1" (I'm not sure of the length as this was some years ago) staples that did not penetrate the plywood.

There are also radiant heat systems that rely on a suspended pipe that does not contact the subfloor. These systems require insulation under the pipe to work. I haven't used one of these systems purposely, but I am told by reliable sources that it can work. The insulation is key.

I suppose you could also add a layer of plywood underlayment to prevent the staples from penetrating the plywood, though this might result in problems with your floor elevation.

Reply to
marson