Frozen Pipes Follow up..

Not sure if anyone remebers my posts regarding being concerned about my pipes freezing in my vacation home. I ended up trying to drain as much out as I could and crossed my fingers.

When I returned here this year, I came back to a busted water meter ($90 incl. parts and labor). I figure I'd have spent more than that on electric if I'd have listened to the builder and left the whole house on at 65. And the power could have gone out anyway.

Nothing happened to the latex paint that was in my garage. Not sure why. It was pretty full.

Anyway this year I guess I'll use heat tape on the meter section and hope the rest of it goes as good as it did last year.

Strange thing about the home improvement stores in the NE, you can't buy things like this (heat tape, space heaters etc) out of season. I could use a space heater in my upstairs bedroom right now and I'd like to work on my heat tape, but I guess it's not happening till fall.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Pisano

There's also a blanket you can put over the meter.

Reply to
Lamey

That's what mail order is for.

Reply to
scott21230

turn water off at curb, disconnect one end of meter so water drains, no heat tape needed.

one fellow I knew put Ts in necessary spots with ball valves, turned water off at curb, opened Ts and used some for blowing down the system.

Reply to
hallerb