install a 2-lamp fixture in place of a 1-lamp fixture?

hi i am a homeowner shopping for light fixtures that i will have installed. i have not yet decided on the installer. i have 3 ceiling light fixtures that i dislike. they are all the same and are in the den, hallway & bathroom; they are 1 lamp units. all of the fixtures that i like have 2 lamps. can i install a 2 lamp fixture in place of a 1-lamp fixture? is it going to cost a lot? will i have to run \"2nd lamp wiring?\" or, can i use existing wiring? OR do you know of any sites that have attractive 1 lamp fixtures? thank you for your time.

-------------------------------------

Reply to
GOODCHICK

you can replace the light fixture without a problem, provided it will fit the box, they can use existing wiring. they are best shopped for locally so you can see what you are buying. for greatest selection go to a lighting store, it will cost more than a big box store ut they have a endless selection:)

Reply to
bob haller
** What if she has knob and tube wiring?
Reply to
RBM

Ignore this nut

Reply to
hrhofmann

** It's sort of in inside joke, as Haller looses him mind over K&T. The fact is, you can't necessarily install any fixture anywhere and conform to Nec. Many new fixtures will require the building wiring to be 90 degree
Reply to
RBM

260.14 (c)
Reply to
bud--

just by fixtures that use CFLs or LED which will keep the fixture temperature down.

If you happen to have K&T its time to plan on a complete rewire.

Reply to
bob haller

A response that has absolutely noting to do with this branch of the thread.

And the fetish referred to by RBM

And also absolutely noting to do with this branch of the thread.

Reply to
bud--

**Yes, but if the fixture has a tag that says something like: risk of fire, do not install on wire with a temperature rating of less than 90 degrees. Isn't the house inspector going to flag you at resale time, or how about your insurance company not paying the claim when your house catches fire... and I know you're an expert on K&T, but what about other types of discontinued conductors like T, TW, RH. What should you do if you have that in your walls?
Reply to
RBM

.

Lots of people do, and they deny its difficult to impossible to get homeowners insurance with K&T. no homeowners insurance means no one can buy your home unless they pay cash and never have homeowners insurance.

just the other night my best friend whos home is K&T discovered a connection in the basement buzzing and smoking. he resoldered it.

he is 80 and says let the next owner take care of it.

he tried changing homeowners insurance company to save money, no one will sell him a policy because of the K&T

Reply to
bob haller

I'll do it for you. I charge a very reasonable fee, only $499 per hour, plus parts, plus transportation costs, plus whatever it costs ot pay off the building inspectors so it passes the code.

They probably dislike you too.

Not unless you replace all the wiring first. You need wire that is labelled "TWO LAMP WIRE". You currently have "One lamp wire".

Cost will be around $3,000 to $120,000 per light, plus materials.

NO, see above.

------------------------------------->

Reply to
Al Capone II

FIRST OF ALL THE OP HASNT SAID A WORD ABOUT HOW OLD HER HOUSE IS, SECOND OF ALL "THAT SUCKS" UPGRADES SHOULD BE MANDATORY IN SUCH CASES. I'D TEAR IT ALL DOWN ASAP AND REWIRE THE ENTIRE DWELLING.

PAT ECUM

**Maybe you have the ability and resources to do that. Not everyone is in such a position. Personally, I would leave judgment of wiring types and systems to those who know something about them. Having an antiquated wiring type, isn't in and of itself, a hazard.
Reply to
RBM

Dear K-

Sorry for the hostile reception from some AHR "regulars".

It appears that you post came to AHR from HomeOwnersHub..... a parasitic website that uses content generated by the members of AHR to make money. In other words (IMO) by plagiarizing content & "reselling".

The content & format of your post gives the impression of "trolling". The readability of your post is poor (at best). Smartphone?

Some of your questions can be answered by our group some cannot.

Not knowing the specifics of your installation (cant seen it from my keyboard)

1) yes you can substitute a 2 bulb fixture for a 1 bulb fixture 2) cost is a strong function of location & existing installation ......New York or Fresno?

Installation could be as cheap as $75 or as much as $300. ..... just WAG (wild ass guess)

3) barring the very unusual, no new wiring will be needed.

4) AHR (alt.home.repair) is not a buying or decorating service BUT FWIW.....

Home Depot has a pretty crappy selection but cheap

has better & more interesting stuff
has very nice stuff; good quality (brass & well finished) but EXPENSIVE

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK