Insinkerator 17-55 Batch Garbage Disposal Switch Failure

This unit is very slow to shut off, as if the switch sticks. An appliance parts website shows a kit with what appears to be a microswitch. I expected that the switch would be magnetic and sealed. Or is there a magnetically-activated piston which activates the microswitch? A word about theory would be very helpful to me. Since nothing appears to be sealed, I would assume the switch assembly might be repairable, perhaps by cleaning??? The kit is over $40! Help much appreciated! Frank

Reply to
frank1492

It is a pushrod that is mechanically pushed in to activate a microswitch when you rotate the cover. It apparently gets gunky and will start to stick Mine stuck in the on position and was slow to shutoff. You can feel it and push it in with your finger. I put some cleaner (forgot which one--WD-40 or a Silicone spray) on a tooth brush and worked on the switch from inside the disposal. It worked for a while and then I had to repeat the cleaning, eventually I got a replacement switch assembly from one of their service shops. Didn't pay because it just made it under the warranty. Was an easy replacement. MLD

Reply to
MLD

I couldn't seem to find the pushrod, but I will look again. If the end of the rod doesn't have a boot or something I would think the rod would get gummy all the time due to water splashing in. Thank you! Will report back!

Reply to
frank1492

I've found it. I think I will take the cover off the switch and see if I can extract the pushrod from the outside. Ought to be easier to give it a more thorough cleaning that way.i

Reply to
frank1492