Inside Plenum insulation

I have a three-year old house. I had the vents cleaned out (was smelling something), and the company said the plenum is insulated with fiberglass. According to the guy, this was stopped in 2001 in California. Instead, R6 should have been used. They, of course, can charge $3,500 for new ductwork. But if my home is out of code, the builder will need to fix it. Has anyone heard of this? Are you aware of the code they are talking about?

Reply to
HomeOwener

Move out of California. You'll go broke trying to comply with California's constantly morphing regulations.

Reply to
taxpayer

vents ? plenum ? ductwork ? I'm not-at-all sure exactly what you're talking about - sorry - But - you are wise if questioning the expertise and advice of a duct-cleaner - it's often a crooked business category in my part of the world - exposed on an episode of CBC Marketplace -

John T.

Reply to
hubops

I bought a brand new Rheem AC evaporator which includes the plenum with my new gas furnace in 2010. It is double walled and has about an inch of fiberglass insulation between the two walls. Is that what you're talking about? I don't see any issue with that at all. Otherwise, I've also seen plenums with fiberglass insulation applied *outside* it, outside ducts, etc.

R6 is just the insulation value and has no bearing on what the material is, ie there is R6 fiberglass insulation too. Me, I would not be worried about either of the above. But if you want to know what current code is, the best, easiest way to find out is to go over to the local building inspector's office and ask.

Reply to
trader_4

I have never hears of putting insulation on the inside of a heating/cooling duct!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
hrhofmann