Infuriating Shower Problem

I posted a similar msg about a month ago, but got no replies..thought I would try again.
The following problem has been going on since a Delta 2 handle, shower only, faucet (and new shower) were installed 5 years ago. It's driving me nuts, and nobody seems to have any idea what I should do. I would be greatly appreciative if someone could give me a suggestion.
A few months after this was installed about 5 years ago, the water pressure gradually reduced to a very poor level. (about 1.4 gal/minute) I tried the usual things: of course took the shower head off; also removed the valves and purged into the shower from the source -- tons of pressure, no help.
Then, assuming that the clog was between the faucets and the head, I removed the valves, attached a garden hose to the head pipe, and flushed out from the head out into the shower thru the valves. THIS WORKED (2.5 gallons/minute), BUT ONLY TEMPORARILY. Within a week or two the pressure began to decrease again. I have done the above 3 times now. Each time it fixes the problem for a while, and then reverts back to poor pressure.
My only conclusion is that there is some stuff lodged north of the valves and with time, it moves to a place where it can constrict the flow. I have tried snaking some wire from the head down..but could only reach about 3/4 down towards the faucets. OR something is wrong with the valves, but I can't imagine what. The pipes from the source are copper..the pipe going up to the head is older (galvanized?)
Do you have any thoughts? I'm about ready to bust up the wall and replace everything from the faucets on up (I really don't want to do that)
Thanks very much

only,
pressure
removed
can't
Consider adding a whole house filter ???
--

SVL

MNP wrote:

You've done everything I would have done. The galv riser is suspicious in itself; it may be time to bite the bullet...
Jim
onclusion is that there is some stuff lodged north of the valves

I'd suspect the galv section, but first I would try really flushing the pipe with very hot water and various chemicals, maybe even radiator cleaner.
--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

Delta 2 handle,

5 years ago.

idea what I

someone could give me

ago, the water

(about 1.4

the shower head

shower from the

and the head, I

head pipe, and

the valves. THIS

Within a week or

done the above 3

while, and then

lodged north of the

can constrict the

down..but could

something is wrong

pipes from the

older
the wall and

don't want to do

thanks everybody for your replies... yes it looks like it might be time to bust up some tile and see what's what

MNP wrote:

Any chance the shower wall backs up to another room so you could break open drywall rather than the tile? Jim
The galvanized is probably the problem. It gets clogged up inside from mineral deposits. Don't try to clean it out, though. Galvanized pipe can develop pinholes and if you get rid of the mineral deposits, it can start to leak.
I had a whole house full of the stuff, so I've had experience in this area.
I would bite the bullet and replace it. If you don't, you will have endless problems.
Steve
some random words that came up with:

replying to MNP, dengleColorado wrote: Really a few years late to the party here, but have the same issue. I was wondering if you found the solution? My shower backs up to a neighbors wall so no access other than chipping away at the nice tiled shower? The pipes look to be galvanized as well. How much would it hurt to put a few sprinkles of drano crystals in there and let it sit for a very short time and see if this works? Is this even advised?
On Sunday, August 13, 2017 at 8:14:09 PM UTC-4, dengleColorado wrote:

I would try compressed air blown back through the shower head pipe and out another nearby faucet. Do it on both the hot and cold sides. I don't know how you're going to bet draino in to a shower pipe with it pitched in the wrong direction. I guess you could partially unscrew it half a turn, but you say it's galvanized and I wouldn't be doing that with old galvanized, that's for sure. Galvanized basically rusts up from the inside out, gradually clogging itself over many years. It's why it's no longer used. Using compressed air worked on my shower recently when I had a flow problem. Mine is all copper, but there must have been some debris or something in there that got blow clear.
If you have an air compressor you can make up the necessary fitting from an air hose fitting, a 1/2" coupling and a reducer.