Indoor flood control

We had the cold-water hose to our washing machine split and run out all night. Flooded the adjacent room - an old carport converted into additional room with concrete slab floor and carpet. The wash room has the washing machine and water heater. I'm concerned about a similar thing happening again, or something happening with the water heater. If I could get a small pump that would sit on the floor and tube into the elevated washing machine drain, and if it could sense water and automatically turn on, then I would be ahead of the game maybe. Assume I would put some kind of rim there so water would stay in a pool. Any suggestions about size of pump, type of pump, possible vender, etc.? Any other suggestions? Home Depot has nothing like that short of a sump pump, which doesn't look practical. My dreams are becoming unpleasant.

Thanks,

Bruce Kimball from Louisville

Reply to
beekay

There are contraptions that you put on the tap, that shut off if the waterflow is too big or if a sensor detects water on th floor. That might work for you.

This is another variant

And I've seen hoses at Home Depot that also shut off when the pressure is gone on one side and they were much cheaper. Can't remember the brand though.

Reply to
mare

i'd suggest shutting off the water supply to the washing machine whenever it is not in use. There are double ball valve assemblies available that are a lot neater and easier to use than the usual pair of spigots.

For the water heater, a drain pan piped close to a floor drain (you still need an air gap) would be a good idea, and make sure the T/P valve drains either into the drain pan, or you can pipe it over to the deep sink if that's handy.

good luck,

nate

Reply to
N8N

Yeah, but ... I have a couple specific concerns: that something will happen while washing clothes, such as the water depth valve failing or something else. We do turn off the water now (always did turn off the hot - the cold bit us). The gas hot water heater is very difficult to access, or to put anything under.

Bruce Kimball from Louisville

Reply to
beekay

While this won't reroute the water, there is a cheap device you can buy that simply sits on the floor and sounds an alarm as soon as water hit it (Watchdog I think it's called). Think fire alarm, but for water. This would alert you if you're at home that something is wrong.

Reply to
grodenhiATgmailDOTcom

Other suggestions? Yeah, turn the valve off except whilst running the washer. Get good hoses, and replace them regularly.

Reply to
Steve Barker