incandescent bulb on magnetic low voltage dimmer?

I currently have a two-gang switch box (magnetic low voltage dimmer + a regular switch). The cover plate is 4 1/2" wide. Because of some remodeling, the switch plate will be covered about 1" on one side. I can't move the switch box somewhere else, so I'm considering using only one gang by connecting the two circuits to the same switch. Unfortunately one of the circuits have an incandescent light fixture on it, and the other one has multiple low voltage recessed lights controlled by a dimmer. So, Is it possible to connnect an incandescent light fixture to a magnetic low voltage dimmer?

It might be possible to get a two gang cover plate with a toggle switch

  • regular switch combination, and cut the plate somehow on the toggle switch side.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks, Matt

Reply to
mistral9999

you might overheat the low voltage transformer.

why not install another box at a different location?

Reply to
hallerb

Why not just do the second half of this. Cut an inch off the current wall plate, put a sheet of appropriate stuff over the box to separate the inside of the box from the new sheetrock, and you'll be done.

(I save scraps of vinyl siding for things like this, but you could probably use something thinner too. .)

mm