Impact-resistant lightbulb for drop light/work lamp??

Hi, I must have gone through 6 lightbulbs in the 4days week. Every time my dro p light/work lamp accidentally falls on the floor, the bulb doesn't shatter but definitely burns out. Is there a certain type of impact-resistant lig htbulb I should be buying for this? I don't see anything like that when I walk through the lighting aisle of the big box stores. Thanks for any recommendations. Regards, Theodore

Reply to
millinghill

On 08/31/2016 11:12 PM, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote: ...

Oh, surely they're there...they're pricey, though...

Look for "rough service" bulbs...gargle says WalMart carries 'em...they're in the Ace Hardware here and I'd think virtually anywhere as well...

Reply to
dpb

Try a real hardware store. Rough service bulbs exist. They can take much more than regular bulbs.

You may also want to look at modifying the hook on your work light. Six bulbs in 4 days is kind of high.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

LED bulbs should be more durable. since they have no filament to burn out

Reply to
bob haller

You might take a look at WallyWorld's collection of LED lights. It had one that attaches with magnets or hook, and is rechargeable with

12v or 120v chargers. The chargers are included.
Reply to
Dean Hoffman

On Thursday, September 1, 2016 at 12:12:27 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wro te:

rop light/work lamp accidentally falls on the floor, the bulb doesn't shatt er but definitely burns out. Is there a certain type of impact-resistant l ightbulb I should be buying for this? I don't see anything like that when I walk through the lighting aisle of the big box stores.

Why do you drop your work light so often? I think you might want to examine your process and figure out why that keeps happening.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

rote:

drop light/work lamp accidentally falls on the floor, the bulb doesn't sha tter but definitely burns out. Is there a certain type of impact-resistant lightbulb I should be buying for this? I don't see anything like that whe n I walk through the lighting aisle of the big box stores.

ne your process

Here's a guess.

(we never get enough information on these so any suggestion is based on a g uess)

The work lamp falls because you keep adjusting it to put light on a particu lar spot. The general area is bright enough, but you need to see that one bolt/connection/wire color etc so you reach for the lamp and you drop it, b ump it, put it back on the hook wrong, etc.

And here's the answer: a head lamp. The combination of the work lamp for the area and the head lamp for that bit of light exactly where you need it is ideal. My head lamp (well, three now) is the most useful tool I own; I can't believe I waited so long to buy one.

Reply to
TimR

+1 on this; a good (1W) LED headlamp is a godsend for wrenching.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

my drop light/work lamp accidentally falls on the floor, the bulb doesn't s hatter but definitely burns out. Is there a certain type of impact-resista nt lightbulb I should be buying for this? I don't see anything like that w hen I walk through the lighting aisle of the big box stores.

mine your process

cular spot. The general area is bright enough, but you need to see that on e bolt/connection/wire color etc so you reach for the lamp and you drop it, bump it, put it back on the hook wrong, etc.

r the area and the head lamp for that bit of light exactly where you need i t is ideal. My head lamp (well, three now) is the most useful tool I own; I can't believe I waited so long to buy one.

A couple of years ago I went camping in Maine. Now, I've been camping all m y life and never recall seeing people walking around the campgrounds with hea d lamps. However, in this Maine campground, I saw head lamps bopping up and down all over the place.

It took a few days but I eventually realized that almost all of the people that used the head lamps were from Canada. When I came home I bought a chea p version to see if I liked it and was amazed at how convenient it was. I bought a better version and now use it quite often. I do find it interestin g that it was mainly the Canadians that used them while camping, but I now do also.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

You were probably wearing it too tight!

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

ne your process

Thanks for all the feedback. "Rough-service" bulb. Got it.

As for why: working in between a bunch of ceiling joists in the unfinished basement, drilling holes for electrical, and every once in a while the dril l bit catches a rough spot and my wrist almost gets torn off and the lousy drop light is too close (must be in same joist bay to see anything). I'm s ure many of you have been in similar situations. Oh, yes, a headlamp would work too.

Thanks again!

Reply to
millinghill

On Friday, September 2, 2016 at 12:38:16 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote :

mine your process

d basement, drilling holes for electrical, and every once in a while the dr ill bit catches a rough spot and my wrist almost gets torn off and the lous y drop light is too close (must be in same joist bay to see anything). I'm sure many of you have been in similar situations. Oh, yes, a headlamp wou ld work too.

Get something like this and light up the whole space.

tml

I mounted mine on a taller, adjustable pole. Low end is about 5', top end i s about 9'.

Reply to
DerbyDad03