Ice Maker Line Question

Trying to replace icemaker line as the old copper one sprung a leak. I bought the kit and you would think it wouldn't be much harder than hooking up a hose to a faucet but of course I am running into trouble, and I would like to blame it on the vague directions on the bag. I am having a bitch of a time getting the compression screw onto the nozzle. How far should the copper line go through the screw?

Reply to
Jeffy3

There are no screws on a compression fitting. Do you mean the nut? if so, put the nut over the tubing, slip the ferrule over the tubing and leave about 1/4" showing. Slip that into the female end of the fitting and tighten the nut.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

On Jan 27, 2:18 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote: messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@a75g2000cwd.googlegroups.com... ?There are no screws on a compression fitting. Do you mean the nut? if so,

Thanks. I meant a compression nut. The compression nuts which came with the kit had the ferrule already inside the nut. Should the nut be able to completely screw onto the female end of the T fitting? I can't get it on more than halfway, and there's a slow drip coming out of the other side of the nut (not the side closest to the T fitting). What is normal cause of a drip? Not tight enough? Too tight? Ferrule in wrong place?

Reply to
Jeffy3

The nut should go on most, or all of the way. The ferrule should be seperate from the nut. As Edwin stated, the nut goes on the tubing, then the ferrule, and then you insert the tubing as far as it will go into the fitting. While keeping some pressure on it to make sure it stays all the way in, tighten down the nut, which compresses the ferrule against the tubing. If you botched it, easiest thing is to cut of the end of the tubing, get a new ferrule and redo.

Reply to
trader4

ferrule should be

Are there alternate names for these ferrules? I don't recall seeing anything by that name in the hardware store where the compression nuts were.

Reply to
Jeffy3

which came

ferrule should be

names for these ferrules? I don't recall seeing

They may call them compression sleeves. Regardless of what they call them, they should be located with the compression fittings and very obvious. You get several of them in a small bag.

Reply to
trader4

nuts which came

The ferrule should be

alternate names for these ferrules? I don't recall seeing

sleeves. Regardless of what they call

quoted text -

Thanks. I believe they did have "sleeves"

Reply to
Jeffy3