I want my electric changed from AC to DC

Thomas Edison preferred DC because he built his power system on DC and AC was developed by a competitor (Tesla, working for Westinghouse).

Reply to
Ivan

With an interconnected power grid, it's vital that all intersections be PRECISELY synchronized. By the way, one consequence of the different power frequencies in Europe and the US was TV standards, which originally were synched to the power lines: European TV had slightly more perceptible flicker, due to a slower frame rate (50 fields per second to our 60), though most Euro systems did have higher definition for reasons unrelated to powerline frequency.

Reply to
Ivan

Hmmm, I guess he wants to replace alternator with generator in his car too.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

MB Hydro uses DC for transmission from generator sites to converter stations over hundreds of miles.

Iowna Uass

Very inneresting. The article said the technology for HV DC transmission came about in the '60s, altho it's not clear when it was actually implemented. I suspect it was in the late '80s, or '90s.

The article seemed to imply that this hydroelectric plant was *dependent* on the technology of DC... don't know why AC would not have sufficed.

Reply to
Existential Angst

Whether it's AC or DC the current flows from the source, through the load and back to the source. It matters not a wit whether it's AC or DC from a metering or usage standpoint. The only difference is that with AC the direction of the current changes once during each cycle.

Reply to
trader4

The DC muscle contraction is true - when the current gets high enough to cramp your muscles on AC it reverses and you have a chance to let go - On DC it is constant polarity and your muscle never relaxes.

Reply to
clare

How the hell can you have time to let go when the whole AC cycle is

1/60 of a second, the amount of time the voltage is close to zero, being but a small fraction of that?

On DC it is =A0constant polarity and your muscle never relaxes.- Hide quoted text -

Reply to
trader4

Muscle contraction is somewhat directional ? related to polarity and with AC the contraction is not as strong and steady as with DC because it is (a) interupted (b) reduced to RMS and possibly (c) reduced due to palarity reversal

Reply to
clare

Keith, please explain how and why Ohm's law is "nonsense"?

Or, were you saying that the damage from a shock is not related to the energy delivered?

To expand on my original statement, electrical shock damage is directly related to the extent and magnitude of tissue heating. I'm not talking about neuro-muscular depolarazation - which can produce cardiac dysrhythmias or orthopedic damage from violent muscular contraction. I'm talking about dead tissue (skin, muscle, fat, tendons, nerves, internal organs, internally coagulated blood, even bones, severe swelling from compartment syndromes etc.

I want to hear more about the nonsense.

Reply to
Peter

I said nothing about Ohm's law being nonsense.

Partially. It doesn't take much energy to kill and more isn't going to make you any deader. Skin has a very non-linear resistance so Ohm's law doesn't hold, at least as stated.

So you don't consider death by fibrillation to be "damage"? How far you have to move the goal posts to justify your nonsense isn't important. You've stated a falshood that could get someone in trouble.

Keep talking, then read what you've written.

Reply to
keith

I have read what I wrote. And, what you wrote. Your "nonsense" comment could have referred to either issue.

In any case, I believe you are still wrong to discount (by saying "nonsense") the fact that damage is related to energy delivered even if, for the purposes of this discussion, I accept your definition of damage to include death by fibrillation (not defibrillation as you wrote). You seem to be confusing or at least conflating the specific issue of pathway through the body with the conceptual issue of sufficient energy to produce a specifically defined "damage". Surely you have to acknowledge that if the shock delivers insufficient energy, it won't cause any damage, much less death.

Again, what exactly did I say that you consider to be "nonsense" Inquiring minds want to know.

Reply to
Peter

That is *NOT* the same thing as saying that the amount of damage is proportional to the energy. It is most certainly *not*.

Shock damage ~= energy

Reply to
krw

Oh, and Ohms law has any meaning, here.

Reply to
krw

It is impossible to have a meaning discussion with someone who rebuts fully explained positions with negative declarative one-liners that are totally devoid of explanation. I'm moving on.

Reply to
Peter

How the hell can you have time to let go when the whole AC cycle is

1/60 of a second, the amount of time the voltage is close to zero, being but a small fraction of that?

So, in your little mind, AC is just as dangerous as DC, right? Get a clue....

Reply to
Existential Angst

Yes; same in 1953 when I was working for the summer in Gloucester (UK) it was 220 volts DC. Not sure why in that town it was DC. But DC was sometimes used where and when an industrial plant/factory also supplied the town or part of the town around. In this part of Canada the whole are is, now, North American standard 115/230 volts 60 hertz. But until sometime in the 1960s (some ten to fifteen years after this province joined Canada in 1949) there were areas provided with electrcity from local paper mills, which were originally British based companies! So customers were supplied 115/230 at fifty (50) hertz! Another reason for DC was sometimes because it was/is used by street railways etc. Have no experience with that. Some lumber factories I I am told used 25 hertz for motors; and somewhere I have the power transformer from a scrapped 25 hertz B&W TV, shipped in when TV was first introduced here in 1954/55 and there was demand for new TVs of any kind! The original poster is 'just having us on to their troll'.

Reply to
terry

The orioginal "Adam BecK" Niagara station was 25hz and much of rural central Ontario switched from 25 to 60 in about 1954.

If the papermill is generating it's own Hydro power, with older equipment, 25 hz is quite possible.

25 Hz transformers are HUGE
Reply to
clare

When proven to be the idiot he is, he simply does a hit-and-run. Figures.

Reply to
krw
[snip]

The meters they use have a special "return coil" on the neutral wire. This has the effect of reducing the meter reading by the amount of returned power. However, in one independent test done in 2008 showed that 83.7% of power-company-owned meters have the return coil connected backward. You need to contact your power company to make sure your return coil is connected properly. They are required to provide this service free of charge at last once every 5 years or sooner if the meter has been replaced.

[snip]
Reply to
Harry L