I need ideas to keep vehicles off my lawn

i was raised a "good ole boy" in the south, and in town, you respected another mans property (be it his home, car or woman) - lest, you get just what you suggest - a shotgun pointed in your direction.

it was a polite respectful community.

"an armed society is a polite society".

having said that, and having lived in St Augustine in the 80's (before the dark times, before the - developers)....you need to post a picture of the area in question.

before you can even do anything - do you have a legal right to the property in question ? (ie. can you claim control over it) if not, then it's a moot issue.

like complaining a pimp is parking their car of business in front of your row house in NYC.

Reply to
mmo1

I thought we were assuming it wasn't legal to park on his grass.

I'm not suggesting putting it on automatic, only saying that it was on autmatic when they complain. The hose would have to be put out there when no one is parking on the grass.

Reply to
mm

Where we lived, the township owned, I believe, a 15 or 20 foot swath of land next to the road, and some people planted bushes on that land and some people planted them back 15 feet. Those who planted on land they didn't own knew they would have the bushes cut down if the road was widened. It's been 50 years since I moved there and it still hasn't been widened. And the road isn't that much busier than it used to be. Either that or it's not that busy, but is busier.

Everyone planted grass, which seems to me to show as much dominion as planting bushes or trees. They can all be torn up when one wants.

And everyone put out mailboxes on posts, which pretty much have to be close to the road.

Of course YMMV.

Reply to
mm

That would be his fast track to a lawsuit - and he'd lose.

Personal safety will trump property damage prevention any day.

Reply to
Eigenvector

Wow! Did I ever get some help. Thanks all!

I'm going to start small. I have a concrete circle surrounding a tree in my lawn. The tree must go so that the roots do not invade the septic tank. So, I'll move the circle to that part of the land and plant some flowers. I believe this should work just fine.

Thanks again for all the input!

Reply to
TC

In all my life I've never tripped over a boulder: "Not too big, not too small" - BFG.

Fishing, I have slipped into the water....

-- Oren

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Reply to
Oren

My b-i-l lived on a corner lot in a trailer park. He put up steel posts filled with concrete and had a chain across the tops. It looked decent and nobody cut across the corner anymore.

Mike D.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

They even make infrared switched sprinklers, which would work fine on car engine heat.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

I've seen several houses around here (in areas without curbs) that have several posts in the ground (no fence, just the posts). They seem to be there to keep vehicles out.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I'm curious if this is legal however... I thought that everything past the sidewalk was actually part of the street's right of way. not that I deliberately park on something that is obviously intentional grass, but I didn't know that that was part of the homeowner's property, and if it is not, what the ramifications are of him fencing or otherwise restricting access to it.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Combination lock wheel boot.

Or, I guess you could make your own.

Reply to
HeyBub

Wow, 95 dollars, but it is almost perfect for this job. (They might steal it, disconnect it, break it. )

Reply to
mm

Rocks, or mature trees. A 4 or 5" diameter tree will stop a moving car pretty quickly.

Rocks would be my choice. Spray Roundup on the nearby grass (when it's growing) and you won't have any trimming to do after a while.

Reply to
Bob M.

Spike belt?

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Do you have the plat? Are there markers? My property starts about 4' from the street. I do maintain the grass and my mailbox is in that part but it is clearly marked with an iron in in the corners and no, it is not mine. YMMV

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

This varies a lot depending on jurisdiction and happenstance. I own the sidewalk in front of my house, and the land beyond it to the curb. But code requires me to maintain the sidewalk.

Later this year, the city will be putting in new sidewalks, this time on city-owned land, and the old sidewalk through my property will be decommissioned. My lawn gets bigger, and the city takes over sidewalk ownership and maintenance.

No change in code, just how the street improvement designs worked out this time.

Reply to
<josh

Depends on the area. In the areas I have dealt in, that was only true for highways and state roads. In subdivisions, the property actually went to the center of the street (the legal street on the plat, not always the same as the paved street.) The city or whoever had an easment for an improved street for through traffic. (And they would sure as hell assess you for your share of the repaving costs...) You couldn&#39;t put up any structures or car-stopping trees in their easement, of course. Mailboxes were supposed to be break-aways, but that was seldom enforced, unless some fool put up one of those huge brick things. Like several folks have said, only way to be sure is to find (or recreate) the corners, and see what the deed, plat, and probably the subdivision plat, say.

aem sends....

Reply to
aemeijers

My guess is none. The worst can happen is that the city will make him remove it, but they would have to notice it first and except where abnormal people rule, have a reason to make him take it down.

The person who parks on his grass isn&#39;t going to complain to the city, and the city won&#39;t look favorbably on a complaint by someone whose goal is to park on someone&#39;s grass.

I doubt he is the only one on that street who has put semi-permanent things on that part of the lawn. Even beaurocrats, normal ones at least, don&#39;t object to that.

Reply to
mm

I had the same problem with people thinking my land is a park, or a swimin hole, I just shot at them well in there direction with a .22.

Reply to
marcus

Turning every instance of thoughtlessness into an open war is too much trouble for me. If someone is going out of their way to park on my grass, it is a fairly sure thing that they will go out of their way in countless other ways to make me miserable. I have had neighbor wars with people who will stop at nothing, which is the difference between them and me .. some folks have no reason for existing other than to make other people miserable and impose their hostility and aggression on people they know will limit their own behavior.

Reply to
Norminn