I may attempt to murder a gopher ... I just might stoop to that level (so help me God)

:)

Reply to
Danny D.

Hi Steve, My experience is similar. As I showed in the photos, water was seeping out of everywhere (concrete steps, concrete retaining wall), so, I'm not really keen on gushing them out anymore.

I have plenty of other neglected lawns (the landscaper must have had a big budget because they're scattered all over the place) where I'm sure I have gophers to trap. But first I'm going to put wood chips on the two lawns that I've cleared of the gopher.

Then I'll move on to the lawns across a driveway.

I only bought one trap, but, the illustrations show using two, back to back.

Do you use two? Or just one?

Do you bait with a carrot or something?

Reply to
Danny D.

After a week of dealing with this, and with all your help, I'm pretty sure the best answer is the $9 Macabee trap and a carrot (or some other enticement).

Of course, I haven't set any traps yet, but, I have a few other lawns to try this on.

BTW, what do you call it when you have patches of "lawn" separated by "stuff" (like driveways, the house, the pool, etc.). Are they lawnlets? They're about 20' by 20' (or so) and are built into the landscaping (the house is on a hill).

Having yet to set the traps, my main question is:

  1. Do people bother covering their scent on the trap?
  2. Do people use two, back to back, like in the illustrations?
  3. Do people bait the traps (carrots? lettuce? celery?)
Reply to
Danny D.

After having talked with the Federal EPA and the California Department of Pesticides, I see now that poisoning the rodent isn't really all that good of an idea.

The so-called second-generation anti-coagulants, which I just bought three pounds of (bromadiolone), will deliver a lethal dose on the first feeding, but, they won't die for a day or so. They then come back for a second and third feeding, building up a super lethal dose.

If they die inside their burrows, nothing bad happens, but, if they die outside, then whatever eats them also dies.

Hence, the EPA and California have both banned the second-generation rodenticides from being easily bought by you and me.

Pros can buy them, but, in large sizes only (the EPA told me 8 pound sizes, but, I read 5 pounds). Either way, it's more than one person would need for a while, so, they've effectively banned them from homeowner use.

Luckily, I was able to buy three pounds of the stuff, so, I'm ok for a while, but, I won't use it outside on the gopher. I'll just use it inside on my garage shelves and drawers.

Reply to
Danny D.

Dudes! Two words: C-A-T S-H-I-T !!!!

My sister lost a cat to secondary poisoning. That is why we researched and came up with the cat shit treatment. (She is single; she has lots of replacements.)

Speaking of spending eternity in the bad hell playing golf with Stomin' and folks who talk in theaters and fart in crowded elevators, after my sister did "the deed", I called her up and apologized profusely, telling her I was only kidding and I did not expect she'd actually do it. She threatened to kill me. It is good to be a brother. I wonder if Stormin' cheats at golf?

Reply to
Todd

No, the trap is trigger activated. They are very sensitive, and tricky. It works when the gopher pushes against the trigger that is standing vertical. The two hooks come together across their chest. No bait at all. I have seen lots of variations, even some that act like a guillotine. The Macabee is simple, lasts forever, and works once you learn how to set it properly. They work best at the end of a tunnel, rather than in the middle of one. Hence, look for the freshest dirt dome, or damp dirt in the middle of a cone that has just been pushed out. That means an active tunnel.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

No, no, and no. Gophers are gardeners. They dig tunnels under vegetation, then cruise along, eating the roots of the plants. They may tunnel under concrete, but not a lot, and not far. There is no food there.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Thanks. I find it interesting that gopher burrows are up to about 6 feet deep. I know *tree* roots go deeper than that, but, my intuition tells me most of the roots must be in the first two feet of soil.

Reply to
Danny D.

That's interesting!

It makes sense then, that I would face it toward the tunnel and, that there would only need to be one macabee at that location.

Thanks.

Reply to
Danny D.

Think about this: Look at the Macabee. It can only be tripped by a gopher going in ONE direction. Hence, you want it where they will be coming head first, and that is at the END of the tunnel. There are some that work in tunnels, but you have to dig down, and clear a lot of dirt, and have them set just right. AND, gophers have been known to nip fingers of intruders.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Wow. That, I'd be surprised to see!

Reply to
Danny D'Amico

OK. It's easier near the gopher mounds anyway. Saves me the trouble of locating a main runway.

Thanks for the advice.

Reply to
Danny D'Amico