I'm getting worried - electrical work

Around here the utility requires that you install conduit from the meter base to the pole or pad per their spec. They supply/install the conductors. They previously allowed direct burial cable that they supplied but too many people cut corners.

Reply to
George

Damn, in downstate NY, ConEd requires HDPE conduit from meter to pad or pole, which the electrician furnishes at customer expense, along with the conductors and meter socket. The only thing the utility furnishes is the meter, which they hydraulic lock into the customers meter socket with a case hardened ring. In fact, I'm amazed at situations like this OP, who is having the utility company disconnect and reconnect the service. Where I am, the electrician is responsible to furnish the connectors, as well as disconnect and reconnect the service.

Reply to
RBM

The part I was actually thinking about is the cable from the meter to the panel.

Reply to
Metspitzer

And the disconnect is a reasonably new requirement as far as houses go.

Reply to
Metspitzer

That gets sized to table 310.15(B)(6) and the customer owns it

For 200a it is 2/0 copper or 4/0 aluminum

Reply to
gfretwell

I believe the OP said that he was replacing that.

Reply to
RBM

I suppose it varies. In my town, the utility company unlocks the meter and notes the meter-reading. You - or your electrician - can remove the meter at leisure. Ultimately, the utility company re-connects the seal and records the reading again.

Reply to
HeyBub