I just ran a bat out of my house

Still can't figure out how he got in.

I had to chase it with a blanked until it got too tired to fly.

I then threw it outside.

It made a vibrating sound when I had the blanket over it.

Reply to
Terry

So, that's where my electronic spy-bat went!

Boikat

Reply to
boikat

Vibrated? You sure it wasn't just an overcharged novelty vibrator?

Reply to
John Wilkins

If I recall right from "Abbot and Costello Meet Dracula," you just had a very close call.

Reply to
Bodega

That's is silly way to do it. Just open some windows, and it will just fly back out. Bats are much better at it than birds, who will continue to hit the one window that isn't open.

Echo location really helps,

Jan

Reply to
J. J. Lodder

Only works if they *want* to leave. I once lived in a house with attic bat-cave. At one point, we found a long-undusted vase in the living room to be a baby-bat nursery. The little things are actually cute.

But bats are apparently able to squeeze through small openings, which may explain all the times people say "I can't figure out how it got in."

-tg

Reply to
tgdenning

Try to find out where it got in or it may come back again. I had that happen a few years ago. In my case, it was the window with an air conditioner that was not properly sealed at the top. They only need a very tiny hole to get through.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Animal cruelty, I say.

Reply to
nmp

The Hello Kitty kind? I saw an ad. for those once; later I read they were not meant to be sold outside Japan.

Reply to
Walter Bushell

Um...what?

Reply to
Geoff

Truely, "Say what?" It would have been more cruel to know that bat was in the house and not do anything about it, since there would likely not be enough food around for the bat to eat, and it would have starved after a day or so.

Boikat

Reply to
boikat

Going by an episode of _House, M.D._, you may have to think about rabies an' stuff like that. (I hope you get to read this reasonably promptly.)

In the United Kingdom, bats are legally protected and generally you can't remove them from property, but they are unlikely to set up home in human living space - and if a building is properly maintained, they usually won't get in.

Reply to
Robert Carnegie

That may be where the bat came in at. I lost site of it when I was getting the blanket. It had landed on the window in my bedroom that has the window AC unit.

After reading your message I checked and the insulation that goes between the window may have been pushed up a small amount.

Thanks

BTW if it gets in again it has to die. I would rather not kill living things. The ones that stay outside are safe, but the ones inside have to go.

Reply to
Terry

"I then threw it outside" seemed quite harsh. If you want to rescue a bat from starvation you don't throw it outside, you release it.

Reply to
nmp

I'm sure that's what he meant. I doubt he meant he threw it out like he was throwing a fast ball.

Boikat

Reply to
boikat

I see no reason to be so sure / doubtful as you describe.

Now he says the bat must die if it dares inconvenience him again. Like if he is talking about a mosquito or something (killing mosquitos I can understand).

Killing bats is like killing puppies or kittens, people. You shouldn't do it if you want children to love and respect you ;)

I am biased of course. I have been bitten several times by bats that I caught when I was a volunteer in a research project, many years ago. Only made me admire them more. They are such fragile little things, but with a lot of character.

Reply to
nmp

Bad Terry! No biscuit!

Agreed. Bats come under the heading of "So ugly, they're cute". I did not see his (her) earlier post on Google when I posted earlier. :P

Boikat

Reply to
boikat

AFAIK it's the same in the USA.

Or so it would seem by what's said by this aptly named firm:

A friend in Florida hired them to "evict" a mess of bats which took up residence under the tiles on his home's his "Spanish tile" roof. The company used their "one way doors" to let the bats out and then keep them out

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Ok. Next time he comes in I will bring him to your house.

I hope your shots are up to date.

Reply to
Terry

Reply to