The fun part was building the door. The door frame wasn't true, so I
built the door as I went. Cut it from 5/8" plywood, stood it up on
shims with screws in the door frame to keep it from falling inward. I
added the 1"x4" trim boards as I went. When I added top horz trim
(first), I screwed the entire door to the frame so the door would
remain in place as I progressed. I cut and attached remaining trim
then added hinges.
I only screwed the hinges with two screws, each, then opened door to
see if it would swing freely. It did. I then took a break and
enjoyed a much deserved beer. When I returned, the door had shifted,
the hinges twisted, and the door askew. Bummer. So, with the help of
a crowbar and prybar, I re-shimmed the door and added all the screws
to the hinges and it worked. I added the dead bolt.
Today I gotta finish up. All the trim screws are too long, as the
lumber yard was out of the proper length, so I gotta grind 'em short
with a 4-1/2" RA grinder. I notice the original carpenter did the
I may be a hack, but I got 'er done and saved some dough. I think
my late brother, a master carpenter, would have approved. ;)
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.