HVAC questions after repair

Had work done on two American Standard Heat pumps recently. When the tech left, he left one outside fan disconnected and one outside breaker off. We turned the units on to AC and went to sleep. About 6 hours later I awoke to a still hot house. Went outside and of course neither fan was working. Units were very hot.

Is this cause for concern as to damage to the unit? If so, what might it have caused.

Thanks

Reply to
gary

All compressors that I know of will shut themselves down when they try to run outside of normal parameters. Not exactly the method I would use to shut them off, normally. God only knows what you did to them. Guessing will only serve to confuse the real and true situation.

I really can not understand your concept of returning to service something that was left off. A call to the contractor surely was in order. I tag everything I take out of service. But then I am anal about such things. Some companies/workers assume no one will touch something taken apart. Would you take your car from the mechanic with out one the wheels connected? The service man should have left a note ( very least ) or contacted someone what the situation was before he left.

Reply to
SQLit

If they shut themselves down why would the entire unit have been so hot?

I am the homeowner. The service man thought he was done and had "buttoned" up the units and pronounced them ready for service and left.

I simply turned them on to use them after the service call.

Reply to
gary

One would think the service tech would have at least turned the unit on and run it to ensure it was working prior to leaving the job.

Reply to
mwlogs

Some shutdowns are triggered by overheating.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

buttoned up? "tech left, he left one outside fan disconnected " maybe disconnected means something different to you.

I see your point. I would have thought that the units would have been run and checked gauges, amp draw etc before the "tech" left.

Reply to
SQLit

Sounds like condenser fan is not hooked up which made the compresso trip its overload. leave the breaker off and have the tech come bac out to repair/correct unit. kinda works like a radiator in youre car what happens if the fan does not work? car over heats

-- hieb

this thread:

hiebs

Yes, further damage is likely. I'm concerned.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"buttoned up? "tech left, he left one outside fan disconnected " maybe disconnected means something different to you.

The OP stated that the service guy had ""buttoned up" the units and told him that they were ready for use before he left. I think that is an appropriate and clear use of the term "buttoned up." To me, that means he put the covers back on and they were supposed to be ready for use. How's the OP supposed to know that the guy did a half assed job and left a fan inside disconnected? Like anyone else, he just turned the unit on. The service guy is a fault here, not the OP.

Reply to
trader4