HVAC fan vs low freon

Living along the hot Gulf Coast we need good AC.The upstairs unit in my 1995 house had to be recharged in 2003 by AC Guy (AG) and a few weeks later the downstairs unit fan wouldn't turn on even when the thermostat batteries were replaced. AG said that the fan was burnt out and replaced it and all was well.A few weeks ago the upstairs fan would go from blowing vigorously to a puny exhaust.I would turn it off and in a few hours on restart it was as strong as ever for a while and then revert to puny state.AG came out and felt the motor which was hot (17 hours of continuous running) and said I needed a new motor.I had to go out of town so i postponed it...and upon further reflection called home and had my wife turn both units on .The 4 hour rest produced a strong blast from the upstairs unit which is measuring 81-83 in various ducts and the downstairs one is 50-53 in various ducts.AG hadn't measured duct exhaut temp. I suspect that because the lower one doesn't blow cold that it runs too long,overheats and then can't push hard.AG has been contacted,refuses to only recharge with freon and insists a new motor is needed

Thanks for your feedback

Hal

Reply to
hankus

These are central HVAC units,not window units Hal

Reply to
hankus

If you let it get extremely hot in the conditioned space, ducts in attic NOT properly insulated etc., you will end up with high discharge air temps. (In the low 80's is a bit far out unless it is 96 in the conditioned space!)

Perhaps the A/C Guy bought a new motor for it, & does not want wait long to resell it. (I shouldn't say that)

Get a different A/C Guy, - get an A/C Tech this time! - udarrell

Reply to
udarrell

You sound like time to get a new AG, if your AG is diagnosing over the telephone. Having some experience with phone diagnosis, it's nearly impossible. I have people call me and tell me the system needs this or that, and it turns out that the problem is something totally different. So, a new AG coming out to the house, the NAG may encourage you to Fix All Repairable Things. You however, need to be Seriously Thinking In New Knowledge.

It would be a mistake to let the NAG force you to FART, if instead you should STINK. KWIM?

More seriously, get another AC tech over, you need second opinion.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The ducts are well insulated and now that it is 91 on the second floor, the attic which has a ridge vent, is only 99

Reply to
hankus

You have low freon and the coil is icing up, thus the low air flow after it ices up.

Reply to
JimL