Humidifier and vapor question

Read for comprehension. The statement was that water vapor behaves as an ideal gas. It does not.

Moist air does, at least close enough; but not water vapor.

In fact, no. CO2 is very far from being an ideal gas. That's why it is so useful.

Reply to
TimR

It certainly does. High pressure steam (which is emphatically *NOT* water vapor, rather is super-saturated) does not. Learn something!

Good grief. You really are a loser.

Bullshit.

Reply to
krw

so useful.

I'm sure it is impossible to explain this, or anything else, to you. But f or the benefit of others:

any gas behaves as an ideal gas if the temperature is high enough, the pres sure is low enough, AND.....important........it is a single phase system.

CO2 as commonly used is a two phase system. As it is used, liquid phase co nverts to gaseous, maintaining a reasonably stable pressure at the given te mperature. If this were not true, an air rifle could not possibly shoot ac curately, and a number of other applications would be much more difficult. The highly useful property of relatively stable pressure is caused by the phase change - phase change is not part of the ideal gas equation, because it doesn't happen in an ideal gas.

The fact of a two phase system existing, such as in a CO2 tank, or anywhere you have water in liquid and gaseous phases together, indicates that tempe rature is low enough and pressure high enough that you cannot assume ideal gas conditions. A humidifier contains liquid water. Oops.

Reply to
TimR

No, if it's saturated it doesn't behave as an ideal gas. Otherwise, as this case, it certainly does. Idiot.

You really are a dumbass. I already stated the phase change issue.

Idiot. Do at least try to read. Then attempt a thought. It will be a new experience.

Reply to
krw

it is so useful.

But for the benefit of others:

the pressure is low enough, AND.....important........it is a single phase system.

phase converts to gaseous, maintaining a reasonably stable pressure at the given temperature. If this were not true, an air rifle could not possibly shoot accurately, and a number of other applications would be much more difficult. The highly useful property of relatively stable pressure is caused by the phase change - phase change is not part of the ideal gas equation, because it doesn't happen in an ideal gas.

anywhere you have water in liquid and gaseous phases together, indicates that temperature is low enough and pressure high enough that you cannot assume ideal gas conditions. A humidifier contains liquid water. Oops.

FWIW, this is an excellent audio-video demonstrating the ideal gas....

Guv Bob

Yes, in a manner that indicates you don't understand it.

Your posts are quick to insult but slow to show knowledge.

I'm pretty sure you don't actually have a clue about PV=nRT. But you cou ld easily prove me wrong. Just solve the equation for V. See if Stormy go t it right. Does 2 gallons of liquid water equal 3600 gallons of water vap or?

Unless you have kids who are high school students, I strongly suspect you'l l have a little trouble converting 2 gallons to n in appropriate units and looking up R. You'll probably get T right. And you'll certainly get P wro ng, based on your earlier posts.

But after that it's just arithmetic. V = nRT/P.

Show your work, including the units.

Then do it again off the steam tables and see what the difference is. 1%? 10%?

Nah, you don't know what steam tables are. You solve the ideal gas equatio n, and I'll look up the number off the steam table.

Reply to
TimR

Wrong, of course.

The intentionally stupid irritate me. You certainly fall into that category.

I *know* you're an idiot.

Now we know you're into the Malformed level of lying.

Work for what? I can't even read your stupid post. You're too stupid to even use line breaks and I have no interest in chasing them down for you.

Idiot.

Reply to
krw