Humidifier and vapor question

Johnstone sells smoke bombs that are used by HVAC guys to check for leaks. I have some somewhere and they're lot's of fun to play with. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

You can rent an infrared video cameras. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

There are only a few master home inspectors in the whole state of Alabamastan and I talk to one of them all the time on a call in radio talk show. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Actually, it is.

PV=nRT

If P and T are constant (STP), V is proportional to n.

Humid air is lighter than dry air, since there are the same number (n) of molecules and H2O (18) is lighter than N2 (28).

Reply to
krw

Yes, trailer. Duct tape is so chic.

Being a real man (R), I'd use camo colored gorilla tape.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Glad someone here's not just full of hot air. And not just blowing smoke.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I may look into that. Alternative is a tin can full of hay and straw. Light that up.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yup. In an ideal gas. (you've just posted the ideal gas equation)

But water vapor isn't an ideal gas. That equation doesn't apply.

Reply to
TimR

On a calm day, turn on the exhaust vents for the stove and bathroom. My stove vent can pull a 5 Pa vacuum at the other end of the house. That's only 10% of a blower test, but can be useful.

You're overthinking it. Incense sticks work fine.

Reply to
mike

Your "cheap HF gun" is going to show humidity from sweating pipes behind drywall? Or damp insulation below a leaking window?

I have one of the non-contact thermometers with the 3 colour led to tell if the targetted area is warmer or cooler than the reference. It is handy - but not nearly sensitive enough.

A good thermal imaging camera will even show you poor wiring connections or overloaded wires inside a wall

Reply to
clare

Better yet, the red super tape they sell for sealing vapour barrier plastic.

Reply to
clare

The little "smoke candles" work well too. For just finding leakage/drafts a cigarette will do.

Reply to
clare

You're wrong. Outside of phase changes, it's as close as any other. Moist air is lighter than dry air (the part you snipped) because all gasses, or mixtures, follow the ideal gas law very closely.

Reply to
krw

In an ideal world, I'd just boyle some water on the stove.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm thinking. 8000 btu over 12 hours, about 600 btu hr ?

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I wonder if you can rent a theater production smoke generator like the type used for concerts, etc from a party supply outfit? You could fill the whole house, trailer or business with smoke and look for leaks. Johnstone Supply and most HVAC supply houses sell smoke bombs for air leak tests. When using any smoke generator, it's a very good idea to notify the fire department or even invite a fire marshal to drop by in order to prevent an unnecessary reaction to a panicked call to 911. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

So true. Nothing like having a two alarm response to your smoke test.

A couple years ago, when there was a fire near me, I heard from my Dad, who saw it on TV. I drove to look. Find the FD had holes in the roof, and four aerial ladder streams going in. No smoke or steam coming out, the fire musta been out by the time I got there. Most FD do a good job, but this batch on this day didn't impress me.

This one must have been earlier than when I arrived, still some smoke:

Stormin Mormon

Uh, yeah. That's why there's no need for those wretched steam property tables, right?

And why CO2 pellet guns work?

Reply to
TimR

Nope.

Reply to
clare

Idiot. His house if full of high-pressure steam?

In fact, yes.

Reply to
krw