We own a manufactured log home on a lake in a very wooded area. We
are experiencing moisture and mold issues. Historically, we purchased
a dehumidifier, but the energy costs of running it were WAY to high,
so we stopped using it.
We saw some pretty dramatic increases in mold and moss growing on the
roof, so we had a mold inspector come to the house.
He said the relative humidity in the house was at 77% - obviously way
to high. We have some specific mold areas in the house that need to
be cleaned and watched closely going forward.
In the short term, he recommended that we apply Drylock to the walls
of the basement, cut down some trees (which I hate to do) so that more
sunlight hits the house, and to purchase and have installed a
HUMIDEX. I have been researching the HUMIDEX and finding mixed
reviews. It is not clear to me that this will help us since the
humidity inside AND outside the house is so high. I usually rely on
Consumer Reports, but they make no mention of the Humidex.
Historically, we purchased a dehumidifier, but the energy costs were
outrageous and it is a second home, so aren't there to empty the tray
on a regular basis.
Second, one of the issues is moss growing on the roof. This helps
keep more moisture in the house which is also bad. It is time to
replace the roof anyway, and I am doing research to see if getting a
metal roof makes sense. Does anyone have a metal roof - pros and
cons? We are in a wooded area, so one concern is tree branches
hitting it and denting the roof.
Any insights/advice on the Humidex and Metal Roofs is greatly