HUMIDEX & METAL ROOFS

Hello,

We own a manufactured log home on a lake in a very wooded area. We are experiencing moisture and mold issues. Historically, we purchased a dehumidifier, but the energy costs of running it were WAY to high, so we stopped using it.

We saw some pretty dramatic increases in mold and moss growing on the roof, so we had a mold inspector come to the house.

He said the relative humidity in the house was at 77% - obviously way to high. We have some specific mold areas in the house that need to be cleaned and watched closely going forward.

In the short term, he recommended that we apply Drylock to the walls of the basement, cut down some trees (which I hate to do) so that more sunlight hits the house, and to purchase and have installed a HUMIDEX. I have been researching the HUMIDEX and finding mixed reviews. It is not clear to me that this will help us since the humidity inside AND outside the house is so high. I usually rely on Consumer Reports, but they make no mention of the Humidex. Historically, we purchased a dehumidifier, but the energy costs were outrageous and it is a second home, so aren't there to empty the tray on a regular basis.

Second, one of the issues is moss growing on the roof. This helps keep more moisture in the house which is also bad. It is time to replace the roof anyway, and I am doing research to see if getting a metal roof makes sense. Does anyone have a metal roof - pros and cons? We are in a wooded area, so one concern is tree branches hitting it and denting the roof.

Any insights/advice on the Humidex and Metal Roofs is greatly appreciated.

THANKS!

Reply to
Casey

Casey,

You say that the air in your home is 77% RH so it would be helpful to know the temp but assuming that it's in the 70s that's pretty wet. What's the RH and temp of the air outside this lakeside home. If the moisture is in the outside air how can a Humidex help? If the moisture is not coming from the air where do you think it is coming from? Do your neighbors have this moisture problem? what solutions have they tried? As to the roof I think that you'll need to get the trees away from your house so that debris doesn't build up and serve as a home for the mold.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

Thanks for your input. I bought a temperature and humidity reader to test out the temp and humidity levels again. I agree with your comments on the humidex, which is why I was surprised that the inspector recommended it. I didn't think he was trying to push any product, b.c. he is not the one we would be buying it from. Is it fair to say that the only way the humidex would work is if the outside air temperature/humidity level was lower?

Reply to
Casey