How to winterize Pool skimmer (cold winters in Toronto)

Hi,

My pool company just winterized my pool but I am interested in one thing. They did such some water out of the skimmer and then they pluged line that goes to pool bottom and then put Gizmo into the line that goes into pump. But just a few minutes after that I can see that now there is again small amount of water at the bottom of the skimmer. Is there something wrong with that? Should skimmer be free of water? How do you winterize skimmer?

Thanks

Reply to
NewGuy

I have these blue plastic bottle things that screw into the skimmer outlet at the bottom of the skimmer. When screwed in, they come to within a couple of inches from the skimmer top. They have a pop out top so that you can blow the water out of the pool lines with a shop vac set to blower. Makes a nice "Old Faithful" type of geyser spray out the top. You will never keep water out of the skimmer, because the weight of the snow and ice on top of the pool cover will cause the pool water to rise and go into the skimmer inlet. Last fall, we emptied the water to below the skimmer inlet, or about 15" from the top of the pool. This spring, the water from the rain, and melted snow, and rain again, had risen to within 6" of the pool top and also in the skimmer. The bottle thing is soft enough to take the expansion of the ice that forms in the skimmer and protect the harder skimmer plastic from cracking. Been using them for about 15 years now.

Reply to
willshak

Looked after I posted. Here they are:

willshak

Reply to
NewGuy

I have an inground pool with two skimmers. I try to blow as much water out of the lines as I can before putting antifreeze in the pipes. You'll notice that there is a plastic plug in the top of the Gizmo. I screw the Gizmo in, remove that plug and then blow the lines. The water will spray out of that hole in the top of the Gizmo. A small amount of water will fall back into the skimmer from the spray. I just leave it there. If that water bothers you, take a wetvac to it or towel it out. I don't know what your pool company did, or if they left that water in there. I do my own pool closing, so I know what I did, or didn't do.

Reply to
willshak

Willshak,

Thank you. That is exactly info I was looking for.

Thank you very much.

Reply to
NewGuy