How to widen a knife block slot?

Or even a cardboard sleeve seems to me it would work.

Or use a sabre saw with a kerf no bigger than the current slot. If you can find one long enough.

Reply to
micky

Keyhole saw. This list includes drywall saws and I sort of doubt they cut wood as well as a keyhole saw, also included:

micky

I like that, Maybe I should park my car in the driveway instead of asking how to fix my garage door.

Reply to
Thomas

We don't have a definition of the coordinate system so it's hard to know which way you need to cut.

I propose the following: a knife blade is long - maybe 8 inches; wide - maybe 1 inch; and thick - maybe an 1/8 inch.

So we have L, W, and T dimensions.

My guess was that your slot was Long enough and Thick enough but the knife would not insert all the way because the slot was not Wide enough. That is what I based my solution on. If my guess is wrong then my solution is wrong. The tool you need depends on what dimension needs to be increased.

Reply to
TimR

Well, you could pick up woodworking as a hobby, then the chisel would be useful going forward.

The screwdriver steel may not hold an edge for long, and the shaft might bend - the advantage of a mortise chisel is the strengh of the shaft, which allows levering out the chips. Another advantage is that it will guide itself (start low and end high) using the existing slot width.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

And then you can use the garage for storage space.

Reply to
micky

On Mon, 5 Jun 2023 18:28:33 -0700 (PDT), Thomas posted for all of us to digest...

Glue some 80 grit sandpaper to a knife that fits and run it up & down in the slot, rinse and repeat until you get the size you desire. They are usually made of hardwood so it won't be quick.

Reply to
Hiram T Schwantz

I might try that. Home depot did not have a small chisel alone without a full kit. I will probably lose square but the knife will cover it.

Reply to
Thomas

On Mon, 12 Jun 2023 17:19:20 -0700 (PDT), Thomas posted for all of us to digest...

Please let us know how you make out.

Reply to
Hiram T Schwantz

Still looking at it lol.

Reply to
Thomas

The plan. Score with razor, knock off a piece with a jewelers screwdriver, hacksaw the heck out of it.

Finished. Acceptable.

Thomas

That looks okay, and as you say the knife will cover it.

Now knowing exactly what you needed to do, I would have recommended just using a drill bit the width of the slot.

Reply to
TimR

On Sat, 17 Jun 2023 11:44:18 -0700 (PDT), Thomas posted for all of us to digest...

Very good, thanks for the update along with the pix.

Reply to
Hiram T Schwantz

I like to show the results from suggestions given, good or bad. It always helps some future question. Thank you and everyone for the suggestions.

Reply to
Thomas