How to widen a knife block slot?

Normal knife block holds 8 on the slant ie chef knives and 6 on the bottom for steak knives. I want to enlarge a slot to fit a cheese knife. I need a quarter inch more. The slots do not go through the bottom. Hack saw blade? Better idea please.

Reply to
Thomas

Sabre saw? It wouldn't be pretty but maybe drill holes along the slot.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

cheese knife ? And for all these many years I've just used the paring knife ! What do I know ...

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Yeah, I've got the big Old Hickory knife, the small Old Hickory Knife, and the thin Old Hickory knife that gets the food prep done.

A cheese wire might be handy if the wire is long enough to use as a garrote.

Reply to
rbowman

I don't suppose you have a hand router?

Reply to
rbowman

The only cheese "knife" I know uses a wire strung between two metal rods. Is that what Thomas is referring to.

Your url shows nothing similar except for the garrote.

Reply to
micky

A thin rectangular shaped file?

Reply to
Tamborino

That sounds like a good start.

Reply to
Thomas

Wood a chain saw kerf be too wide?

Reply to
Buzz Saugh

Thick blade, saber saw or probably better a small circular saw or table saw.

Go all the way from the slot to the edge of the block. Then glue in a thin shim from the edge to the width you need. Really this is the only way you'll end up with something decent looking.

Reply to
TimR

A stainless steel rasp, something like

Although you'd need to remove the sides first, which may affect make it too flexible.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I assumed that he wanted a longer slot - not a wider slot ? just because " 1/4 inch more " makes for a hefty thick knife blade ! If indeed he needs a 1/4 inch wider slot - I'd probably look at other options for the cheese knife - like adding on a piece of decorative matching / contrasting wood to form an external slot or holder. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Maybe one of those small $5 chainsaws I keep getting emails about. Do you get the emails?

Reply to
micky

I thought answers would explain this to me but they haven't.

I still don't know if you want the slot to be wider or longer.

I would think you mean wider, but your own suggestion of a hack saw blade makes me think you want longer. ???

Reply to
micky

Maybe what you are not looking for but brings to mind an old DYI knife block I made years ago:

I bought about a five foot poplar board then cut into six pieces, cut slots for knives and a sharpening steel then glued together, ground and sanded down, stained and painted. Fun project that only cost a few dollars.

In your case with tools I have, I would try taking my electric drill to ream out slot. Might take some kind of extension to get deep enough and clean up with chisel and files.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I also assumed the same thing. For example a 1 mm thick slot that is about

25 millimeters long that he wanted to make 30 millimeters long instead.

For that, I'd buy a 1 mm by anything (say twenty millimeters wide) rectangular file that I could use the thin edge to lengthen the slot.

That would lengthen the slot without widening it (if the file was thin enough).

However, wood-block wood is generally hard wood so it would take a while. But it was the only way I could think of to get a uniform slot all around.

Reply to
Tamborino

Pic. The slit above holds a prep knife that fits it but also then would need a bigger slot for the prep if I switched them.

Thomas

1/8" morticing chisel.

or if 1/8" is too narrow, 3/16"

Scott Lurndal

I might razor a score and dig it with a sharp screwdriver. Bench grinder coming up. I do not want to spend on a 20 dollar knife but it is way to sharp to toss in a drawer.

Reply to
Thomas

Some people protect knives in a drawer with plastic sleeves.

Reply to
Falafel Balls