How to tell when filter needs changing.

Our ionizer drinking water filter needs changing once every 8 month or more if the city water is clean. Since our city is pretty clean I only worry about chlorine. How can I tell if the activated charcoal filter is still working properly?

Thanks

Reply to
Tim Zimmer

Drawing on my experience from filters we used in our power plant. A filter usually gives signs that it's loosing effective life. Deionizers will start having increasing levels of ionic impurities in their effluient, and carbon filter's influent and effluent ratios will change. All this tested with samples and installed detectors.

Now to really scale this down to a home owner, and what you are asking for, I would change it when I notice chlorine smell/taste is back. ;)

Simple enough?

later,

tom @

The Real Tom

Question. Why did you buy the filter?

Really, if you don't sense a problem, why have a filter? If you sense the problem, then that would be time to change it.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

This is Turtle.

If your getting plenty of water supply and no taste problem. Run it till you do.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

You may want to look into getting a TDS (total disolved solids) meter. It will tell you beyond a doubt when your filters aren't pulling their weight anymore.

billy

Reply to
Billy