How to Run Network Cable in an Old House? (2023 Update)

Glad to hear that you have good result with your wireless setup. But I need to stream videos (MPEG-1 and MPEG-2) through the network connection; therefore, I believe the performance requirement on the network connection is higher than just for sharing printer/files and sharing an internet connection. From reading articles in net, I have an impression that wireless is probably iffy for streaming video (some may have adequate result, some may have OK result with signal boosters, and some may not at all). This sounds like a lot of trial and error to find out if this will work or not. I prefer to use the "sure" thing. Seem like I don't really need to go to giga-bps network connection (1000Mbps); but I probably better off using 100Mbps connection that will need to be wired, and this will be the "sure" thing.

If I cannot find a way to run cable through the house, I probably will try the 802.11a/g combo that is currently available to see if it is good enough. If that is still not good enough, I will wait one year or two for the next generation of wireless connection that is supposed to be able to reach 100Mbps or so (if I read this correctly from the wireless round-up in the latest issue of PC Magazine).

Jay Chan

Reply to
Jay Chan

Thanks. The one from CompUSA seems to be WAY overpriced. I see that mail order source has a cat-6 installation kit with a large roll of cable and assorted tools for just $170. Yes, I will likely go that way instead of getting the cables from CompUSA.

Jay Chan

Reply to
Jay Chan

My local Home Depot does. Phone around, there may be some in other HD stores in your town. I've noticed that the newer HD stores have this while the oldest haven't upgraded their stock. It seems that HD has gone through a re-stock and new-look change in the last year locally.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

Thanks for the advice. The closest Home Depot store is not one of the well-stocked Home Depot stores around here anyway. I will look for it in a well-stocked store.

Jay Chan

Reply to
Jay Chan

if you think hotels are asking their customers on the 12th floor to wirelessly connect to a router behind the front counter on the first floor you are a dum. nay, there are multiple access points (sometimes on every floor) hardwired to whatever floor their server room is on, and you best believe they have one, all with hundreds if not thousands of ethernet cables running to and fro, so that dopey doug can comment on homeowners websites and play make believe that he knows what he;s talking about

Reply to
paolo