How to replace 2-pin fluorescent base socket in overhead bathroom fixture

I have a very old overhead bathroom light fixture that includes two

2-pin fluorescent bulbs (or do you call them tubes?).

When one bulb burned out, I tried to pull it out of its base socket. But that base was so old that it literally cracked off the light fixture. Now it's broken and can't be reattached to the light fixture.

How do you replace one of those? Do I have to replace the ballast as well? (The other 2-pin bulb is working fine, so I know the ballast is OK.)

Reply to
Steven L.
2 pins at each end of the tube, for a total of four pins per bulb, or only 2 pins at one end of the bulb and nothing at the other end???? A photo would sure make it easier to understand,
Reply to
hrhofmann

If this is a typical fixture, it is what is referred to as a "tombstone" that holds the tube at each end. They can be replaced and no, you do not have to change the ballast

You can get them at an electric suply store

Ed Pawlowski

The answer for me would be to get a new LED fixture. Much better quality of light.

Reply to
trader_4

Keystones are available at the home store and it is just a 2 wire hookup. You might want to pick up some small orange wirenuts too. Pop the center cover off, it may be 2 screws or just clipped in there. (Squeeze the base on both sides) Take out the old keystone (they usually fall out) put in the new one and hook it up like the old one.

If you have tender hands, wear gloves. The metal is usually sharp.

Reply to
gfretwell

That is what I do in my shop and I won't even replace bulbs these days but in the kitchen I still like a natural light fluorescent.

Reply to
gfretwell

I should have mentioned: It's a GX-23 bulb and GX-23 socket.

Here's the replacement I'm ordering, so you can see the kind of socket I'm talking about:

or from another vendor

My MAIN question is: How do you disconnect the wires from the old GX-23 socket? Is there like a clip or spring or something that lets you remove the wires from it?

Please tell me I don't have to cut the wires!

-- Steven L.

Reply to
sino57

They were usually permanently attached to the ballast if nobody replaced them before. Just cut and strip the existing wires and use those orange wire nuts I suggested you get. Be generous with the wire you save. Better too long than too short. Stuff it all back up in the can and be careful you don't pinch it when you put the cover back on.

Reply to
gfretwell