how to remove ceiling box

I'm trying to replace a ceiling fixture. The old box is black metal, shallow, appears to be intended for bx cable, and I can't figure out how the heck to get the darn thing out in order to put an old work box in there. I can't just reuse this box because the center pole juts out too far below the ceiling level. The box itself is plastered in, and seems to be held on by the metal brace that runs through it, not above it. Likewise, the center pole seems to be held on via this thin metal brace, which extends from either side of the box into the plaster and woodwork. Can anyone offer suggestions on how to get this thing out without having to completely rip/cut it out and replaster the entire thing? Thanks for any suggestions.

Reply to
problemchild

Take a screwdriver and carefully remove the plaster where the brace meets the edges of the box. You should find a 8-32 machine screw on each side of the box that holds the brace to the box. Once the screws are removed, carefully chip away enough plaster to remove the brace.

Reply to
volts500

die grinder w/ carbide rotary burr.................

been there, done that

use ear protection

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

I think I've seen some turn of the century black, round,(not octagonal) bar boxes with an integral bar running through them. If that's what you have, I think you'll need a sawzall. Slip it into the ceiling between the box and plaster and cut the bar right off. Also, be sure the "center pole" is not an old gas pipe

Reply to
RBM

Thanks very much each of you for helping. I really appreciate it. Now to get it the heck out of there :-).

Reply to
problemchild

Thats what I was thinking, GAS PIPE, and some of them are still live. I ran into that several times when I was doing handyman work, and once I opened one to find it was still live. I talked it over with the homeowners and disconnected the gas lines going to the ceiling fixtures. (a good thing to do).

An easy solution for you would be to just buy one of those "Wiremold" rings that go over a ceiling fixture. It will lower the fixture an inch and solve your problem with little work at a cost of about $5 to $8. Most likely the fixture will cover it and you wont even notice.

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff