How to remove a padlock?!

I bought a boat and trailer last spring. Yesterday I was checking the tire pressure before taking the boat out for the winter when I realized the spare tire was padlocked on and I don't have a key. That could be embarrassing.

It is a laminated steel padlock. Do I beat it with a sledge hammer until it gives way. saw it with a sawsall and metal blade, or must I use a hacksaw? Any other suggestions? (don't have boltcutters...)

Reply to
Toller

cutoff wheel in a diegrinder or dremel tool will cut the hasp pretty easily.

Reply to
salty

call a locksmith

Reply to
AZ Nomad

on 10/4/2007 10:55 AM Toller said the following:

Check with the local police department or fire department. They have bolt cutters.

Reply to
willshak

That would cost more than buying the tools to cut it off.

Reply to
salty

especially if your time is worth nothing.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

OK, I won't suggest a boltcutter then, but that's the fastest, easiest way to remove it.

Reply to
Doug Miller

You'll have them soon.

If it is a hardened hasp, it twill take months with a hacksaw. Look for a cheap bolt cutter for a one time deal, or borrow one.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

These days you can buy a side grinder at one of the Chinese outlets like Harbor Fright for $20. Once you see how fast that takes a lock off you might reconsider locks as a deterrant.

Reply to
gfretwell

  1. A quality padlock will have a number embossed next to the keyway. Take this number to a locksmith. He'll look up the pin positions in his sooper-sekret book and make you the key.
  2. Some say you can hose the lock down with circuit cooler stuff then shatter it.
  3. While you may not be able to hacksaw the lock, you may very well be able to saw whatever the lock is attached to.
  4. "Laminated steel" is not equal. If the lock is made by a reputable company, the thing may be impervious to a shot from a 30-06! If the lock is made by WongLoo Locks, you might be able to blow it off.
  5. The keyway is made of brass (usually). You might be able to drill out all the innards.
Reply to
HeyBub

Reply to
jmagerl

If you call a locksmith, you'll be spending time waiting for him, watching him open the lock, and then writing him a check. If you buy the tool, you will pay less, probably save some of your valuable time, and when you are done, you will still have the nice new tool for other projects.

Reply to
salty

Locks won't keep out the determined, anyway - and the cheapo side grinders haven't changed the situation at all. Boltcutters require no electricity, make very little noise, and take only seconds to open a padlock.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Good idea; I don't know why I didn't think of it. I just used one to cut up rebar to make a retaining wall, and they went like butter.

Reply to
Toller

Invest in boltcutters. They are also useful burglary tools.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

See if this guy makes housecalls :

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Amen to that! I finally bought a 4" disc grinder (Wally World) at about $20. Amazing the jobs you use it on.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Reply to
Bennett Price

Reply to
Tom Kendrick

See if you can slide some shim stock down the side of the shackle and disengage the locking lug. Or sacrifice a feeler guage to the task. Otherwise try one of those 6" wire frame hacksaws and cut very close to the lock body, they never seem fully hard there.

Reply to
beecrofter