How to mount this mailbox?

Just got this mailbox and would appreciate some advise on how to mount it on a post. I plan to buy a 4x4 pressure treated wood. But I am scratching my head on how to mount this box to the post.

The mailbox can be seen in this site:

in the top picture where you see the three white mailbox, the middle one - model 117. It is made of heavy fluted aluminum. There is no hole in the bottom of the box, so I need to figure out a way to attach it to the top of the post.

One thought is to just drill several holes at the bottom aluminum plate, and drill similar holes into the wood, and then use heavy duty galvanized steel screws to screw the bottom to the post? or are there some plates and angles I should use that will do a better job?

Thanks in advance,

orangetrader

From the size and shape of this one, it looks like it might be more intended for *wall* mount??? That's not to say you can't put it on a post, but I would definately consider putting the top of the post *behind* it, not on the bottom edge. I would do just as you planned, but through the back surface to one side of the post (I'll bet that's where you'll find the pre- drilled mounting holes?)

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

Yep it is intended for wall mount. But the larger model to it's left can be both wall and post mount, so I decided to make it post mount.

I think I could put in a taller post and mount it like a wall mount and yes there are 2 predrilled holes in the back. However I think a post underneath looks better so I will see if I can make it work. It is a heavy and tall one, so it will be tricky. Looking for ideas.

orangetrader

Screws in the end grain of a 4x4 post don't have much holding power. It wouldn't take much of a push at the top of the box to pull out the screws.

You could screw a 12" length of maybe 1/2" threaded rod into the end of the post and use a nut and a very large thick washer inside the box. The mesh bottom shown in the lower picture may weaken the bottom and may make it hard to mount it this way.

You could put it on top of the post but attach a piece of 1x4 to the back of the post and mailbox. I think this would give you the slim look you are looking for.

Reply to
Cliff Hartle

What he said. If you go with bottom mounting, make sure to bottom is strong enough, and attached to the solid parts of the box well enough, that a strong wind or obnoxious kid can't simply repeatedly flex or wack the box hard enough to tear the base out of the box. If you want a strong but classy looking mount, I'd find or fabricate an 'L' bracket to bolt the back of the box to, with short leg of the L attached to the top of a boxed surround that fits over the post, to keep the end grain dry. Farm supply stores usually have a whole aisle of miscellaneous ironmongery for building or repair of stock pens and barn doors, and may have something you can easily adapt. If not, your local machine/blacksmith shop could probably knock it out pretty cheaply.

aem sends....

Reply to
ameijers

Plus, I'm thinking there could be some structural issues here. Was that (relatively) small square area at the bottom built to handle the strain (just pure weight and wind) of supporting the whole box stuck up in the open air like that? I would think it's an invitation to come out some morning and find the entire top blown off and the base plate still anchored to the post, but again I can't see the construction quality from here.

If OP insists on mounting it that way, I agree that there has to be a stronger way. Maybe "build out" the top edge of the post with some mitered 2x6 wolmanized pieces that would give a wider base and a bit of a stronger nailing surface? That would make the top edge of the 4x4 roughly a 7x7, and he wouldn't be screwing into end grain if he stays out around the edges.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

Build a 1x frame for it...mount the box to the frame...then mount the frame to the 4x...at the height that you want.

The frame should be in the form of a tee. The long, vertical part of the T will mount to the 4x. Make the vertical part about 4 inches or so taller than the box...so that you can attach the top part of the T to the 4x. In the same way, make the bottom of the vertical about 4 inches longer than the box...so that you can attach it at the bottom to the 4x.

The perpendicular part that comes off the vertical part of the T is where the box will sit. Attach it from the back part of the tee...with some wood screws and some exterior wood glue. You might even want to dado it. And you might even want to attach a decorative wood or metal shelf bracket under that shelf piece.

Recapping...build the shelf/tee for the mailbox first..mount the mailbox to the shelf/tee...then mount that shelf to the 4x.

Hope at least SOME of that made sense. lol

Have a nice one...

Trent

Trent©

I'd mount it from behind.

(Always a good technique)

Reply to
Red Neckerson

That's what Kobe says

Reply to
Greg

Thanks! I was thinking if I can find something like a U shaped channel that will allow me to put two bolts through the bottom of the box, then when attached to the 4x4 (or 6x6) I will get a long bolt all the way through the post and attach it to the sides of the U shape. May be on top of it get a

1x4 and attach it to the box on it's back as well as the 4x4 at the bottom. I wonder if that will do the trick. O
Reply to
orangetrader

Did you see the part about "floor grid provides air circulation"? Sounds like the bottom is less strong. Might want a taller post, and mount it through the back?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The bottom is a 2mm aluminum plate welded to the four sides. There is a metal grid about 1 quarter inch thick on top of it. I think the bottom plate is strong enough though.

orangetrader