Good Mailbox Paint

After we had two I items stolen from our rural mailbox, I bought one of those big lockable boxes:

I don't like the black paint. Would like to paint it gray. What kind of paint should I use to withstand rain for years to come. Some kind of epoxy?

Thanks

Walter

Reply to
walter

That was my thinking as well. It's tough stuff, easy to repair and gives a nice textured finish...which is why it's easy to repair.

RicodJour

If it's locked, how does the postal worker get the mail into it? I never heard of a locked mailbox.

And locking it is no guarantee of mail safety. They'll just steal the whole mailbox. I live in a rural area and every few years some kids go around with baseball bats and smash mailboxes. It has not happened since the sheriffs caught them though about 2 years ago. But there will probably be others.......

My biggest problem is that the mailman cant shut the door tight on my box and then it rains and I got soaked mail. I've complained to the post office at least 5 times, and they always claim there's something wrong with my box. Yea, right.... it shuts just fine for me.

Reply to
jw

I put my moms mailbox on a H steel beam after too many people drove over it. The beam was 3 feet above ground and 5 feet below. The box was still exposed to baseball bats, but no one messed with it after that.

one day someone hit the box which stuck out a little but just missed the pole beam. it would of totaled their vehicle. the box was found 20 feet away, a nearby tree got hit too, but survived with scars.

I was REALLY tired of replacing that pole..

Reply to
bob haller

For the sake of any newbies on here that didn't see the last dozen times we discussed this- most jurisdictions get rather unhappy if you put anything TOO solid in the right-of-way strip by the road, lest it make an otherwise survivable accident a fatal one. Plus, of course, it makes it a lot more expensive to repair the snowplow when it runs over it.

I'm still using the dry-rotted 4x4 prefab post that came with the house, that apparently fits into a metal socket thing buried/planted in the ground. The door has fallen off a couple times from the hinge rivets rusting away, but vise-grips and a pop rivet fixed that. I should replace it, but until a car or plow hits it, or it falls over, there are a lot of things higher on the list. This is an actual subdivision with lots of dogs, so I'm not too worried about casual vandalism like if I lived on one of the mile-grid 2-laners.

Reply to
aemeijers

The letter carrier assigned your route will not fuss with your box...

It shuts just fine for you, but you only have to use that one box once per day, six days per week... It is unrealistic to expect your carrier to remember the trick to close your box when it is one of thousands along their route...

If getting wet mail is that much of a problem for you, construct a small roof which is larger than the mailbox and protects the contents from rail or whatever even when the door is slightly opened and then hang the mailbox from that roof...

Gee, I mean you are the one with the problem here -- not the post office... The letter carriers are expected to receive giant carts of mail inside the post office, sort it all so it can be delivered, then deliver it along the route and now you want them to remember how to close your box tightly and properly?

ROFL... How much do you want to pay for postage man?

Or maybe you think that only half the people should get their mail in a day because it takes twice as long to close each mailbox properly because of a few customers with hairs across their ass like yourself... Workday is only

8 hours long man...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

I use acrylic enamel automotive paint on mine. Paint it about every 10 years. Nothing fancy just a spray can bought at AutoZone. Sounds like you have about the same problem my father in law had. He fabricated a mailbox to look like the old ones from 3/16 sheet steel. It was learned that a couple of guys had been bashing mail boxes from the back of a pickup with a piece of rebar. They know this because the guy using the rebar was found in front of my in laws home with broken arm and leg and the rebar wrapped around the mail box.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

This is the national standard for rural Delivery-

"Your mailbox should be set back 6 to 8 inches from the front face of the curb or road edge to the mailbox door."

You might notice that suburbs are different than rural. I'm in the burbs-- but my mail is 'rural delivery'.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

walter wrote the following:

It's powder coated, so any exterior enamel can be used. You could have bought it in Bronze or Sand from the Amazon site, if you had clicked on the drop down Color Name box. Other colors, but not available on the Amazon site, are Pearl Grey, and White.

Reply to
willshak

Andy comments:

Absolutely !! If you can't practice with your .22 in your back yard, there are too many regulations......

If you can't wake up in the morning listening to the owls, you live in suburbia...

If you've ever mowed your yard and found a truck you thought had been stolen,.... you probly live in Eureka, Texas...

Andy in Eureka, TExas

Eureka, where all the men meet at the gas station on Saturday afternoon and listen to NASCAR on the radio.....

Reply to
Andy

----- Original Message ----- From: "Evan" Newsgroups: alt.home.repair Sent: Saturday, April 16, 2011 9:23 PM Subject: Re: Good Mailbox Paint

That's known as "dismount delivery" and I believe requires the homeowner be disabled. If your roadway mailbox requires the postman to leave his vehicle I think in most cases he dismounts only once - to leave you a notice that your mailbox is improperly positioned.

While I didn't have time to do an authoritative search, here's one example of many that says what happens when you relocate your mailbox far enough from the roadway to force the mailman out of his truck:

Robert Green

It's a hell of a convenience for those of us lucky enough to have it. My mother broke her hip going to the community "birdhouse" mailbox in icy weather. I once was told I had to abandon my door mail slot and use an external mailbox because my door slot required opening the screen door. A large tip at Christmas seems to have solved that problem. (-:

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green