How to keep raccoons away

Um. Hate to be practical and everything here, but if you're forcing a gas into the gopher hole, the density doesn't matter; it's not going there by gravity, it's going there by pressure. You could force helium down there and it'd go down rather than up, density and molecular mass notwithstanding.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

This property can come in very handy, as long as you know a few key atomic weights. Say, for instance, that you're stuck in a boring class or lecture. No problem. Whip out your pencil and notepad and calculate how much H2 it would take to float your neighbor's cat into the stratosphere. Next, calculate how much He to do the same thing. Look up at the lecturer from time to time, appearing thoughtful. He or she will be impressed that you're taking more notes than any one else in the room.

The above is a purely hypothetical scenario.

R, Tom Q.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

Erg. Now you've made me realize that mis-remembered that the molar volume of a gas is 22.4, not 24 as I stated in my previous posts. Been a long time since college...

Kelly

Reply to
Kelly E Jones

Tom Quackenbush wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Ha, thanks, but mine were way off. This is why I am not a chemist (or mathematician). The correct equation is probably: v^3 - (b + RT) v^2 + a V - ab = 0 (forgot to multiply RT by v^2 last time)

which gives CO 1.168 g/L at 20C, 1 atm CO 1.253 g/L at STP (using 28 for mass)

Close enough to the value you reported.

Calculations for other compounds are an exercise left to the reader

Reply to
Salty Thumb

snipped-for-privacy@ptdcs2.intel.com (Kelly E Jones) wrote in news:c963nr$p9u$1 @news01.intel.com:

The volume is around 24.04 L/mol at 20C, 1 atm (which is the temp I calculated at) and 22.4 L/mol at STP.

Reply to
Salty Thumb

actually, carbon monoxide, at mol wt 28 (same as N2) is slightly lighter than air (avg formula wt approx 30).

and there have been a number of documented human survivors from failed CO suicide attempts because the engines shut down before the air in the garage became lethal.

and cigarette smokers frequently tolerate levels of carboxy hemoglobin that would debilitate folks who didn't smoke.

ck

Reply to
charles krin

Is not...Oxygen (O2, molecular wt 32) will settle slowly...Carbon Dioxide (CO2, molecular wt 44) settles fairly well...Propane (C3H8, also molecular wt 44), settles well enough to cause major problems if a leak occurs.

ck

Reply to
charles krin