How to keep raccoons away

country". The access to garbage and pet food and lack of real predators has caused a population explosion. The ****ONLY**** method that will work and work well is to install an electric wire. It's cheap enough since you already have the fencing. You'll need the standoffs for a wire around the bottom and one around the top. You can probably do it for less than $75 with stuff you can buy at the co-op.

Reply to
Sunflower

an electric fence is a non starter, period.

Reply to
Ignoramus15189

You're no fun.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I hate spending money on various contractors. Hiring contractors is an unbelievable waste of time and money.

roftlmao, I hope to avoid it.

does it actually work? I kind of like the idea.

Reply to
Ignoramus15189

Animal Control here WILL NOT deal with anything but dogs and cats and the occasional potbelly pig. Raccoons are *wildlife* and therefore non-domestic and not their problem. If you have an injured one, the state wildlife guys will direct you to a vet and foster parent, but they don't deal with them either unless they're possibly rabid, and since that's not happened since sometime in the 70's, you just get told to call a pest control firm who'll charge you big bucks and still not solve your problem.

If the original poster and his child are too stupid to install an electric wire like was recommended, then let him deal with no fish in the fish ponds and no veggies in the garden and several ER bites from trying to trap them. Evolution in action. He'll either learn what futility is, or he'll actually educate himself on electric fences and not subscribe to ignorant hysteria. I'll bet he's even touched his tongue to a battery as a child, but somehow he thinks that should have electrocuted him.

Reply to
Sunflower

Get a bobcat. (a real bobcat, not the tractor kind.)

Hope this helps, :-) Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Are we on the same planet? I'm referring to your TOWN'S animal control department. I've never heard of those people charging a citizen for removing an animal.

Try it yourself. Sprinkle some on the counter and press your paws into it. Now, rub your eyes, pick your nose, and if you're really brave, go take a leak. If there's enough sweat on your hands to cause the essence of the powder to be released, your pecker will be in a world of hurt for a few hours. If you like the results, head over to a supermarket that sells spices in the bulk department. Lock & load!

Reply to
Doug Kanter

non-domestic

Hmm. They were more than happy to come over to my house to remove a raccoon that was wandering around the yard in broad daylight. Is it possible that animal control departments are different from one place to another? Would it hurt to call and ask?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

non-domestic

I'm pretty sure it takes more than 9v to scare off a racoon. So how much voltage would you use that would do the job but not hurt the child? I know you can die from as little as 50v. Even less if you got imaginative.

Reply to
Adam Russell

Oh, I see. I became confused. I called animal control department of our village a couple of weeks ago, and they said that they would not help with raccoons.

Okay, I like this idea actually, as it seems practical.

My thinking is, buy this cayenne pepper powder, get some food leftovers, sprinkle with CPP, and leave for raccoons to try. That could probably dissuade them from visiting my property. I could use CPP on my garbage bins, as well.

I would rather not sprinkle CPPon the garden, as my son plays with it (he "owns" some of the plants and likes to sprinkle water on the garden). But, if raccoons are smart enough to avoid a whole yard if they have enough trouble on it, I will be fine!

Reply to
Ignoramus15189

Perhaps they'll only help with raccoons if they're spotted during the day, which usually means they're rabid.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

My brother had a group that use to stop by his house and let his cat out so they could all play together. They never bothered anything, but the cat had fun playing follow the leader with them.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

They won't let you shoot 'em, but they also won't take care of them for you? That's inconvenient.

That or you'll find that they like it ;)

Let us know how it turns out. Might end up with a bunch of chilihead racoons.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Flippin' governments. Take the fun out of everything. ;-)

Reply to
Russell

Ignoramus15189 (ignoramus15189@NOSPAM.15189.invalid) wrote: : I have a fenced backyard where I have a vegetable garden that is : somewhat ransacked by raccoons. (or some other animals).

Here's the advice I hear frequently on "You Bet Your Garden" with Mike McGrath:

Dig a trench two feet deep around your garden, and put 6 foot tall wire fence into it. No burrowing animal burrows deeper than two feet. Use stakes to support the fence, and fill in the trench. You now have four feet of fence above ground and two feet of fence below.

Don't secure the top foot of the fence to the stakes. Instead, bend it outwards at least 45 degrees.

Now you have a fence that burrowing creatures can't burrow under, and climbing creatures can't climb over. When they try to climb, they have to hang upside down from the unsecured part of the fence, which bends under their weight and drops them on the ground.

The only way a critter can get through such a fence is by jumping over it, knocking it down, or going through it.

I've never tried this myself, but it sounds reasonable.

--- Chip

Reply to
Charles H. Buchholtz

Don't let your kids wear wool socks on a low humidity day...imagine what would happen if they discovered they can shuffle around the house and zap each other with a few thousand volts. A typical static electricity shock is about 2000 - 4000 volts.

Of course a amperage involved is so low, that aside from the surprise, no damage is done. Ever taken a weak 9v battery and tapped it against your tongue? A fresh battery hurts a little, but a weak one gives a little tingling sensation.

A consumer grade electric fence is harmless, it will give a mild shock, but nothing dangerous. I couldn't find the specifications online, so guestimating, if an electric fence transformer draws 120v A/C @ 1 amp, the output would be 4000 v A/C at .03 amp.

That's just a mild shocker, pretty safe..if it was D/C on the otherhand is a different story.

Sameer

Reply to
Snooze

In article , snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net says... <

Reply to
bill

In article , snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net says...

Reply to
bill

EZ way to get rid of the coon is to take it (in the trap!) to your local coon dog hunter. It'll help train his dogs to coons.

Reply to
Nick Hull

You dont know much about electricity it appears. Static electricity is completely different from transformer electricity. When you get a shock from static electricity it is 2-4k for only an extreme fraction of a second. I dont remember how short exactly (1ms comes to mind), but it is the brevity that saves you. As it swiftly runs out of electrons the voltage falls to zero. Power out of your wall does not fall off. At all. That 120v will deliver 1mA or 15A depending on the resistance of what you are powering and only limited by your circuit breaker or fuse. If you were to put a penny in the fusebox it could deliver 1000's of amps with no problem except that the wires would get hot. So putting it through a transformer will not reduce the amperage available to any safe amount. 4000v will kill you, and it matters not whether it is DC or AC.

Now as to the matter of electric fences, when I was a child my grandpa told me to stay away from the electric fence surrounding the cow field. He said it would kick me like a sledgehammer. He could have been pulling my leg, but I imagine that anything meant to coerce a cow would hurt a human. OTOH, a raccoon is not a cow. The question is open whether you could make a fence with enough jolt to keep out racoons but not enough to hurt 3 year olds. I personally doubt it.

Reply to
Adam Russell