How to insulate around house drain on basement wall

I'm planning to insulate my basement walls with 2" polystyrene foam boards glued against the concrete walls (+ stud wall in front of that, + drywall f or fire barrier). Any suggestions of what to do when I get to the house dr ain against the wall? It's in the middle of a wall so not like I can just ignore it in an unfinished corner closet.

photo:

3d6fd.jpg

And, I'm not comfortable with the idea of these boards and finished drywall beneath the pipes because, if I ever have to use the cleanouts. it'll be a hideous messy disaster.

All suggestions appreciated. Someone must have dealt with this situation somewhere before!?!

Thanks, Theodore

Reply to
millinghill

Box it in behind some paneling that can be on hinges so you can open it. Below the boxed in area, put in some bookshelves that are as deep as the boxed in area in front of the pipes.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Hi, Foam board is out and I'd consider foam spray (messy when you need to work on the plumbing) or wrap fiberglass batts as best as you can.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

North Salem, CT?

What a f'n ugly mess. What is that - 6" PVC?

Box it in like Hoffman says. Don't put insulation around it. You want the pipes to be exposed to ambient downstairs temperature as much as possible - not insulated from it.

Reply to
HomeGuy

Hi, Then he can glue foam panel pieces to insdie wall of box.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

If you insulate the pipes from the interior of the living space, the pipes will be exposed to the cinder block wall of that part of the foundation. If the air space surrounding the pipes goes below freezing

- guess what happens?

If you insulate the shit around the pipes, you will insure that the pipes will eventually reach the same temperature as the cinder blocks that they're in contact with. So you'd have to judge just how cold that gets. Also - is there any insulation or barrier on the outside of the blocks?

Reply to
HomeGuy

Thank you. You have a _very_ valid point.

Reply to
millinghill

I would try put as much foam behind pipes. Try to add extender pieces to bring access ports to front of drywall.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

We have done rigid insulation before 3 months but after 1 month we found mould on that wall. One professional told us that rigid insulation creates a vapor-impermeable barrier, so the wall would have limited drying potential.

Reply to
jaydendonnelly