How to install a timer / lawn watering system

I am thikning about a DYI project for installing a lawn watering system. Is it really that simple? What things should I be thinking about before I choose a system? How deep do I need to bury the lines? Newbie at this. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Reply to
affiliateian

I'm usually not one to post an RTFM response but

website has most of what you want to know without requiring me to reinvent the wheel in text. Also
Also see pamphlets in the stores where this stuff is sold

Reply to
PipeDown

Also, considering that pros have the equipment to just pull the pipe i minutes, without actually digging a trench, this is one job that may not be a good candidate for DIY. At least not any reasonable size lawn.

Reply to
trader4

Thanks for the replies. Good reading.

What kind of equipment would the pros have to pull the lines? A few of our neighbors had a system put in from all companies had to dig up the lawn to lay the lines.

Reply to
affiliateian

You can rent a trencher at most good rental shops. That will open the ground and you can put in rigid PVC pipe. Way better than digging by hand.

These is another tool similar in appearance to a trencher that is used to pull flexible hose underground. This may also be available at the rental shop but the hose you pull and the way you connect to it is different. Rigid White PVC pipe is easy to buy and work with, the other parts may be more limited.

When I did my lawn, I also roto tilled the whole area in prep for a sod lawn. I tilled to about 8" so digging a trench in that was real easy with just a spade.

While you're at it you should plumb in another sprinkler zone just for the drip system. Run it near shrubs and planting areas. You can then run 1/4" tubing from those key spots to the plants as required.

Reply to
PipeDown