D-Con No-see-um mouse trap

I just bought a couple of D-Con mouse traps and am wondering if anyone else has had any experience with these. It's a round, black thing that looks like a large hockey puck. You put the bait under a sticker on the bottom, and then you wind the thing up until it's set. Then you place it somewhere where the mice will see it, go inside, and apparently the spring action kills the mouse and shuts the trap so that not only do you kill the mouse but you don't have to see it. This is the main reason I chose this one because I can't stand rodents of any kind. There's an indicator that is supposed to tell you when you've caught a mouse.

Now the reason I bought this is because I was seeing little chocolate sprinkles in 2 of my kitchen drawers, and I finally figured out these must be mouse turds I've heard people talk about. I cleaned the drawers out a couple of times, at first not realizing what it was.

Anyway, now that I've emptied the drawers completely of everything except for the traps, there is no sign of mouse anywhere. No more chocolate sprinkles. I put peanut butter in the traps.

Today is the 4th day since I put the traps out. I've never tried to catch/kill mice before. Have they figured out that it's a trap? Do they not like peanut butter? I've checked and the peanut butter is still there. If I don't see any more chocolate sprinkles anywhere, should I just assume they found some other place to live? I only saw the sprinkles in those two drawers--I looked in all of my other drawers and cabinets and saw nothing.

Help! I'm thinking of calling the Orkin Man!

Lesley

Reply to
Lesley

Foolish girl....the mice read your post and now you're screwed ;-)

Reply to
Maker of Rules

Think "Orkin Man" only if the cat is named "Orkin."

If you don't have a cat, you can borrow one. Great fun for the kitty. Of course you'll have to dispose of the mouse feet (or maybe the whole mouse).

Reply to
HeyBub

Are you saying that the Orkin Man isn't going to be effective? I'm very serious about making sure I have no mice in my house. I can't get a cat or else I would--I'm extremely allergic, and besides I have a killer Jack Russell Terrier. She seems to be totally unaware of the mouse/mice in the house, yet she hunts them outdoors daily. Yesterday she seemed to have cornered one under a rock. It was screaming at her to go away.

I checked the traps this morning--no sprinkles, no mouse.

I'm even dreaming about the mouse traps now.

Lesley

Reply to
Lesley

:) :) Today is the 4th day since I put the traps out. I've never tried to :) catch/kill mice before. Have they figured out that it's a trap? Do :) they not like peanut butter? I've checked and the peanut butter is :) still there. If I don't see any more chocolate sprinkles anywhere, :) should I just assume they found some other place to live? I only saw :) the sprinkles in those two drawers--I looked in all of my other drawers :) and cabinets and saw nothing. :) :) Help! I'm thinking of calling the Orkin Man! :) :) Lesley

I come across this quite often...

may be the large outdoor roach droppings you have been seeing. Don't call a large National Company, you will be paying for the Salesman's commision, the tech's commision and their overhead and chances are you get someone new to the business. You probably know friends that use a local company that are satisfied, if you choose to not handle the problem yourself. Mouse or roach, if those cabinets are near the sink or stove, make sure where the plumbing/power come through the wall is sealed, many times it is just a rough opening.

Lar

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

Dancing dog is back!

Lar

Hey Lar,

THANK GAWD it's not roaches! Whatever is leaving the sprinkles in my house--it eats seeds. I found a couple of empty seed casings in the same drawers where I found the sprinkles.

How big must a cockroach have to be to leave droppings the size of mouse droppings?

Never mind. I don't want to know. I'll just count my blessings. I think.

Lesley

Reply to
Lesley

In my experience, cleaning out the drawers and leaving only traps in them sort of alerts the mice that you've been there. I don't know if they smell it or it just looks wrong to them, but frequently they will ignore traps there.

I would re-place the traps along the likely travel paths to the drawers. For example, if they are getting into drawers that are next to the sink, put traps along the back of the cupboard under the sink, take out the bottom drawer and put a trap against the back of the cupboard/wall behind it and replace it, and so on.

Don't forget that once you have trapped the mice, you need to figure out how they got in and plug up the access holes. Also figure out where they are getting the seeds and remove the food sources.

Jo Ann

Lesley wrote:

Reply to
Jo Ann

Thanks, Jo Ann. Perhaps I've scared them off. Evolution has probably resulted in mice with bigger brains. I'll move the traps to someplace where they won't be so obvious. . .

Lesley

Reply to
Lesley

Take some turds to a place that sells pest control chemicals for ID. May well be from a cockroach. choc sprinkle sounds a bit small for a mouse.

lee

Reply to
lee houston