On 9/4/2010 8:13 PM, firstname.lastname@example.org wrote:
I'm mostly a live-and-let-live kind of guy too, and had no problems
weeding the garden yesterday at the same time the buzzing things were
harvesting nectar. And I have no problems if they live out back past the
point where I bother to mow, or in the graveyard behind me, or in the
drainage lot down the street etc. But I just came back in from spraying
a nest in the usual spot in the front yard, where I need to mow
tomorrow. (Not sure why they always pick That Spot year after year,
unless they like how the moles pre-dig the hole for them.) I've
accidentally run the mower over 'bee fountains' 3-4 times in the 5 years
I've been here- even had them fly under my shirt and sting me. That is
annoying enough that I feel no guilt about nuking nests that are on MY
turf. All they gotta do is move a couple hundred feet in any direction,
and they will get no grief from me.
Note that if you have anyone in the house with a history of anaphylactic
(sp?) shock after bee stings, all bets are off. Epi pens aren't always
I even have some in the garage. Two kinds, hornets and those black with
white stripes. Funniest thing. No matter if they are trapped inside or
outside, they patiently wait for me to open the garage door every
morning so they can tend their nests. If I leave during the day and
close the door, there are there when open it to go in or out. They fly
by me, sometimes stop and look for a minute then move on. Every herd of
such a thing? I'm amazed.
I look outside this morning and everything was in 3D!
Since I've moved to CO, I've encountered some bizarre species of
wasps/YJs/bees. Howzabout a wasp the size of a bumblebee and colored
like a holstein cow and furry! Or lil' bitty bees no bigger'n a small
house fly nesting in an old decorative log. I've seen a wasp the size
of a mosquito. Didn't know if it was a separate speies or jes an
infant wasp. Whatever the reason, CO elevation seems to be
enviornment numero uno for weird winged stingy things.
I once thought I was allergic. Now think I'm not. when some
stingy thingie gets me, the pain is nonexistent to tolerable and only
lasts a day at most. The real problem is the itching. Last sting, I
itched so badly for 3 wks, I wanted to chop my foot off!
Find the entrance. Get your Wet Vac out and place the suction hose
close to the entrance. Turn the vacuum on and go get a cup of coffee.
Read the newspaper.Get the aerosol hornet killer out and shoot a small
amount into the still running suction hose. Place the hose back at the
entrance. Go get another cup of coffee. Repeat as necessary.
First, use a little care.
Yellowjackets start with one queen at the beginning of the year, the
rest die during the winter. By the end of August the colony is
generally about 1500. The fatal dose (assuming no allergies) is
between 500 and 1000 for the average human. So, do the math!
Living in Virginia, I usually find one nest a year while mowing the
lawn. I think they start in a mole tunnel then dig it out.
I kill them with soapy water. I set a couple five gallon pails of
water and laundry soap near the hole, wait until dark, and pour it
in. No risk like with gasoline or pesticides. I've never had this
method fail, though I've sometimes had to do it a couple of times. It
took a little nerve the first time, I thought they might wake and come
flying out the hole, but that's never happened.
I've tried the sprays and other methods. The sprays all get soaked into
the ground before they get to the nest, here anyway. Spraying with or
trying to fill their hole(s) with water doesn't generally get rid of
Pouring, quite a bit of, gasoline or kerosene down the hole near or
after dark and ingniting it from a safe distance works. Don't wait a
half hour after pouing the gas though. The stuff will woomph all around
you. You might just get singed.
About a dozen people have suggested the 'cleansing fire' solution in
this thread, just like all the times before when somebody has asked
about the same problem. Just like before, it is a dumb idea, and can get
you in trouble with the law for putting the ground water at risk.
Doesn't matter if it works, the downside is too large.
I know, playing with fire is fun, but you can't buy real M-80s any more
There is a law that says you can't use fire to get rid of yellow jackets???
You don't use enough gasoline to fill a well. A quart or so is generally
all it will take but I have seen a nest that was over 5 ft deep.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.