How to get rid of yellow jacket bee's nest ??

I said that because one of the morning drive talkers has the county extension services representative on every Friday. Recently they were talking about "Army Worm" infestations. Apparently Seven is the only treatment for it and he said it was now only available in liquid form, which is expensive for this use.

Reply to
krw

snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote: ...

Don't know how to grind up a seven; Sevin(tm) is readily available afaik...

--

Reply to
dpb

Ask your fire marshal about dumping gasoline on the ground and lighting it.

Reply to
krw

snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote: ...

Would need to know for what application was referring to--if was ag application, Sevin isn't generally used at all so presume must have been for garden/turf/lawn applications.

Again, afaik, Sevin is still a non-RUP (restricted-use pesticide) easily obtained at any retail outlet.

For ag applications, it'll depend on whether they're army worms or army cutworms; they're similar name but different species and life cycles.

Cutworms can be an especial a problem in winter wheat and other cereal grains...they're one of our biggest worries every spring about what level of infestations we'll see.

--

Reply to
dpb

This was for lawn use. He also said that Sevin was far too expensive for ag use.

That's not what he said. He did talk like it was a recent thing, though.

krw

Must be so recent that Ace hasn't heard of it yet nor did a quick google return a hit about EPA and Sevin which would normally be expected to be about the most prominent topic to come up if it were a recent development...

I suppose it could be something local or a pending thing, but it surely doesn't appear to be so at the moment afaict...

Which lists Sevin dust, too.

--

Reply to
dpb

It does, but the guy was on the radio in the last couple of weeks (he was talking about the Armyworms Friday, but don't remember the Sevin issue being brought up) saying that it is no longer available. It apparently is a very recent thing. Current supplies are allowed to be sold.

Reply to
krw

Right after you ask yer mommy if you can come out and play.

nb

Reply to
notbob

OTOH, a web search brings up nothing relating to a ban on Sevin. Perhaps when we're out later I'll look to see if it's on the shelves.

Reply to
krw

You would think about your mommy, nutjob.

Reply to
krw

Tennis racket, you march to the den of death and dare them to come at you knowing "to the victor goes the spoils". Wear something with a tight collar they fight dirty when they go down your shirt.

Reply to
FatterDumber& Happier Moe

All day long, 24/7. She has alzheimers and I care for her.

nb

Reply to
notbob

snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote: ...

In addition, the new state licensed applicators' information packet I just received last month that I just looked at for to make certain says nothing regarding Sevin and there's been no mention of it in any notices or updates I've received this crop year regarding it, either. Those generally are front page as they are generic for all licensed applicators in the State, not just ag producers like me...

One would have to know precisely what product for what application in what jurisdiction the report was referring to--it could be a municipal ban for lawn use in a local area or something but I'm quite certain it's not EPA-related nor national. Or, he could just have his facts wrong or misspoke in an interview meaning to refer to another product when his statement made it sound as though it was Sevin. Or, any of a limitless other possibilities, but I'm sure it's not an EPA mandate.

--

Reply to
dpb

............ no, that is what we are GOING to do to the dems in November ..............

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

No less than your clueless top posting proselytizing ass.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"lil abner" wrote

Ask your local EPA droids or your fire marshal about that.

I know! Let's call Fire Marshall Bill. He'll know.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Why light it? When you pour the gas down the hole, the fumes will displace the air, so the fire won't go down the hole. The soil will keep the heat away from the nest.

I have found that the fumes from a tablespoon of gasoline will kill a nest. I imagine soil organisms can soon break down that small amount.

Reply to
J Burns

Last year, manufacturers of Sevin and other carbaryl products voluntarily requested that the EPA terminate lots of uses for the stuff. The EPA didn't say why. Maybe the manufacturers want to open up a market for something at ten times the price.

Reply to
J Burns

J Burns wrote: ...

Hmmm....interesting it didn't show up in the RUP updates I get from State re: same. Perhaps their generation notices that are pretty clearly auto-generated aren't geared to find stuff that is voluntarily delisted application instead of EPA-mandated. There's a semi-annual review coming up for long; if I think of it I'll ask about it. Meanwhile, guess best stock up if can still find some on shelves for garden altho it is of no concern for lack thereof for the farm operation.

--

Reply to
dpb

theres NO need to light the gasoline dumped down the hole the vapors kill the stinging beasts.

of course I mix roundup and poision ivy killer 50% 50% to kill posion ivy.

I tend to do what works!

Reply to
hallerb