How to fix a door frame?

My old house is show it's age. I couldn't seem to coordinate my hand and my arm last night .. I didn't turn the door knob before pushing on the door going into the garage. When I did this, I noticed the entire door frame seemed to move about a 1/2 an inch. I suspect something isn't right. Can I just pull the molding off the outside of the door frame, line up some nails with the shims, and plop in some new nails? Or should I just burn down my place?

Reply to
clevere

Suggest screw it instead.

Drill pilot holes first though, the wood might crack and split otherwise--old wood is generally tough as nails.

If not screwing at a pre-existing shim location, add some new shims while your there.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Thanks. For dark brown stained wood, what type of screws do you recommend?

Reply to
clevere

Uhmm...wood screws.....long ones--at the strike plate only, if the color bothers you.....

Then I guess use finish nails inna couple other places, at the shim points......if you set em below flush, you can buy some tinted filler putty, should match up in color pretty good.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Reply to
Tom Baker