How To Clean Fireplace ?

I have an old fireplace that is dirty with soot. What do I use to clean the brick and tiles in the fireplace? Do I use muriatic acid or just strong detergent?

Thank you.

Reply to
Vito Cavallo

If the fireplace is that dirty, the chimney is too. Hire a chimney sweep and have him take care of the whole job.

If you insist on doing it yourself... mix 1 cup of washing soda in a gallon of warm water, and scrub. Don't use acid -- that will damage the firebrick.

Reply to
Doug Miller