How to Choose a Toilet?

My house is 25 years old, which means it has the first generation of toilets meeting the then new federal mandate for water conservation. What _that_ means is if you use more than two sheets of toilet paper, the damned things clog up. I know the technology has changed radically in 25 years and new toilets that meet the mandate work a lot better. So I want to upgrade. The question is, what do I want to look for in the way of features? For example, the OrangeBigBoxStore has 6 Kohler models alone that run from approximately $330 down to $160, and the description cards on the shelves say almost the same things for each model. The only advice the Helpful Person could offer me was "Don't buy the most expensive and don't buy the cheapest." Right. So what do I want to see printed on the box or on the shelf card to know I'm getting a good, efficient, toilet?

TIA...

Reply to
Alan Holbrook

This link is entitled "How to choose a toilet".

I have 2 American Standard Cadet 3 toilets and I am extremely satisfied. I bought one during a bathroom remodel and after using it for a year, I replaced my other toilet with one.

We've never had a clog in either toilet after years of use.

Watch the video available at that site.

AS also has a Champion 4 line which looks like a higher end series than the Cadet 3. That might even be better than mine.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

My brother let his wife supervise remodeling, or the house came this way, and he ended up with stupid French toilets that had to be cleaned after every use.

Don't ask me why I say that.

It was unbelievable. Even if I had an upstairs maid and a downstairs maid, I wouldn't want those toilets.

Reply to
micky

Alan,

When you go to buy a mattress you get to lie on it. Toilets should be handled the same way.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

My kid sister tried that... Didn't work out so well for the store.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

My house is older and as toilets started giving problems I had them replaced with new toilets carried by my plumber. None of them have the problem of early toilets. Toto, I like best. Plumber charged $400 for that one but others were $300 which considering my age and attempt to repair and reseat a toilet resulted in a cracked toilet. Been a few years but charge included new toilet, removal of old one and installation of new one.

Reply to
Frank

One of my favorite curb finds, a big tank Koler made early 70's. That baby takes care of business with one big Kerrrrwhooooosh and the bowl stays clean. Replace the working parts in them when needed and stay with what works. High fiber diet? Noooooo problem

Reply to
Fat-Dumb and Happy

BTW... The American Standard Cadet 3 toilets that I mentioned earlier are not listed as dual flush units, but they can be used as such.

A quick press on the handle releases enough water to flush liquids away, while a slight delay in releasing the handle results in a full flush for solids.

I called AS and asked about that and the CSR agreed that they will work that way, even though they do not have any of the innards of a dual flush toilet. As long as the result is the same, I don't really care what they call it.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Go to the manufacturer's website and read the detailed description of each model. There's a lot of information there to help you make your choice.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

The greater the height water falls from the more force it?s going to have . The higher the rim of the tank (where water is stored not where you sit) from the floor the better a flush you?re going to have.

Reply to
recyclebinned

They mention taller bowls-- I'd *emphasize* taller if you aren't likely to be doing child potty training on it. That extra inch or two is *much* appreciated by old bones.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

DerbyDad03 scrit:

I'd aim for low maintenance, high flow toilets. Cheap is good too.

Reply to
Harold W.

First, determine the size you want. I'd go with an elongated bowl and the comfort height, especially as you grow older and the knees and back creak.

I have two Kohler Wellworth at home and we have four at work and they are all 1.6 gallon. They work well. One of the differences you are seeing is the subtle differences in cosmetics. I got them from the plumbing supply in town and saved about $50 over Home Depot. IIRC, it was about $300 or less.

You will also find American Standard and Toto models that are equally good. They should comply with a certain class to assure a good flush. There is a web site th at lists models and what class they are if yhou want to play with Google a bit. Start here

Ed Pawlowski

Toilets in Europe have a little different design. Many of them are straight sided and have little water in the bottom so they get a lot of skid marks. I've often thought of taking a couple with me to sell over there. Every bathroom I've been in Europe has a brush handy.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Hi. We are happy with Toto two piece high seat one. It uses very little water per flush. Still does a good job at it.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I just bought 2 Champion Pro's. One was installed a couple of weeks ago and I have not had a single problem. The other will be installed tomorrow. This one only uses 1.28 gallons of water per flush. They were a little over $300 with me picking them up. I was told by my plumber that these were commercial units. The water fill connection is brass and not plastic. These look like really nice units.

Reply to
Jim Rusling

Little water in the bottom. That's right.

This must be a way for you and me to get rich. Or you and someone.

See, I woudlnt' have noticed that, because my mother had a brush nearby even though no toilet we ever had was a problem. But she cleaned the toilets weekly or so and didn't want to put a wet brush in a cabinet. She didn't bother with something to hide the brush, just a little saucer to collect the drip. (so the brush wouldn't freeze?)

Reply to
micky

"David L. Martel" wrote in news:l726hj$f8k$1@dont- email.me:

Slightly modified punch line to a very old joke: "Well, doc, it worked out just fine. But they'll never let us into Home Depot again..."

Reply to
Alan Holbrook

Alan Holbrook wrote in news:XnsA2843D4C6AAF0cartaphiluscharterne@216.168.3.30:

As usual, great responses from Usenet. I saved a bunch of the posts for future reference.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Reply to
Alan Holbrook

Would that be considered anal retentive?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon