How many wires in a thermostat

Hi,

I need to run a wire from the attic (where the A/C and heating units will be) to the location of the thermostat on the first floor. I don't know specifically what I'll have in the attic and what thermostat I'll have.

How many wires should I have in the wire to make sure I'm not short on that number in the future. Is six wires good enough for any heater+A/C combination?

Thanks!

Reply to
Aaron Fude

It depends upon the equipment. If it's not a heat pump, and just a garden variety furnace / ac unit, 4 wires is enough. Two thermostat wires will also need to be run from the air handler to the condensing unit as well

Reply to
RBM

If you pull 5 wire cable to the thermostat location separately from the attic air handler location and the outside condenser location you should be good for most any system. That's what I ran for my new heat pump and I used 4 of the 5 to the air handler and 5 of the 5 to the condenser.

Reply to
Pete C.

.

de quoted text -

6 should be enough for all known likely heat/AC units
Reply to
hrhofmann

mine is 8, heat pump, ng backup, humidifier, outside temp

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

JIMMIE wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@s36g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

We have 8. eight is the bid. Do I hear 9 -- 9 -- 9 anybody. Eight going once...

Reply to
Red Green

We usually ran 9 when we rerun stat wires. The cost is not that much more. I think most our trucks only keep 9. One drawback-- some of the colors are fairly similar and you have to look real close to make sure you have the right one. BTDT. Larry

Reply to
Lp1331 1p1331

I've heard of some heat pumps use 8 conductors. You should ask the question on usenet group alt.hvac, where the pros hang out. Should generate several replies.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Eight and a half.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

=========================================================== Yeah, Right. Wait till he sees the type of replies he gets. I've never seen a bigger bunch of pompous ASSHOLE KNOW IT ALLS--and you know that--you used to hang out there !!! ======================================================== Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.

Reply to
Ron in NY

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:hm4hsj $6i9$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Nine! We have 9. You're snoozing at the wheel there SM. The bid is 9. Do I hear 10? 10? - 10? - 10? Come-on you lame-asses. I'm on commission here.

Reply to
Red Green

12!? Dual runs of twisted pairs. Git 'em while ya got 'em.

Sincerely,

Lame Ass

Reply to
Oren

What you mean "used to"?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Due to the Obama recession, I'm out of funds. Sorry, chief.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You sound like a phone guy to have around.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

tion on usenet group

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Its obvious that most of the guys over there are out of work HVAC school dropouts sitting around home drinking beer and playing on the computer. They probably have a trail worn in the carpet that goes from the fridge to the TV to the computer to the bathroom. With the exception of a precious few they are worthless. I have found that if you can give a post there enough time someone who really knows what they are talking about will usually reply.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

on usenet group

Oh darn, now I'll have to add that group to this computer. 8~)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

You're welcome.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

No place on Earth like the alternating havoc group.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Mine ended up with 9. But the newer stuff can be wireless if you wish. Also, there's options for running the newer stuff with 4.

Steve Barker