How long should I wait for tiles to cure?

I would like to tile my utility room where I keep a lot of junk, storage and heavy racks. I will need to move all my stuff to one side of the room, tile the other side, grout it, wait for it to cure, then move everything (racks, boxes and other things) to that side, then tile the other side.

How long do I need to wait after I tiled one side before I can move heavy things on top of the new tiles so I can do the other side?

A week? 10 days? A month or even longer?

MC

Reply to
miamicuse

Once the tile is grouted, it should cure for 72 hours. Most manufacturers suggest letting the tile set 24 or more hours before grouting, follow their directions. I would highly recommend this site:

DanG

I just had my kitchen and dining room tiled two weeks ago by my buddy that owns a Floor Covering business. Once they laid the concrete board and tile we couldn't walk on it until the next day (24hrs). They grouted the next day and moved the frig and stove back in the same day and then another 24hrs before we could walk on it. The next day I sealed the grout with an aerosol sealer which takes about

3hrs to dry.

Everything is solid as a rock. I'd say, 24hrs after tile laid to walk on, another 24hrs after grout and

3hrs after grout sealer.
Reply to
p-nut

That's pretty much it.

Reply to
G Henslee

MC,

The thinset you use under the tile should be set within 24 hours. It would be strong enough to walk on and set lighter objects on, but I wouldn't want to try dragging a fridge or heavy racks across the newly laid tile for AT LEAST 72 hours. (Like concrete, thinset gets harder as it cures). I'd give it more time if I could.

The grout should also cure at least 24 hours before you walk on it.

I think most tile/grout sealers recommend the grout cure at least 72 hours before applying the sealer. Check the label to see what the manufacturer recommends.

As for moving things from side to side and trying to work around them, I've tried that before when doing drywall work. I wouldn't recommend it. If at all possible, move the stuff to another room or out to a garage. You'll appreciate not having to work around everything.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

"Dragging" anything heavy over tile isn't an option. if the frig or other object can't be rolled then one should use an appliance dolly, hand truck, etc.

If time allows it's best to give the floor a couple of days before moving heavy objects, but if time or schedule constraints demand less time be given, 1/4" plywood on top of the new floor will suffice for moving heavy objects over it.

Reply to
G Henslee