How Long to Wait to Paint New Plaster?

Hello,

I'm getting conflicting information from my plaster manufacturer and my paint manufacturer about how long to let new plaster cure before painting it, so I was hoping someone here could offer their experience. The plaster manufacturer (USG Diamond brand veneer plaster) says that the plaster can be painted the next day if I use an "acryclic or other high-grade latex breather-type paint". The paint manufacturer (Pittsburgh) says to wait at least 30 days, preferrably

90 days, for any of their products over any plaster.

So what's the real scoop? Obviously the plaster will be giving off moisture for 30-90 days, so is there a paint that will adhere while that is happening? I called USG and asked them what a "latex breather-type paint" was, and they wouldn't suggest anything specific, so I'm inclined to believe the paint manufacturer.

Oh, obviously the thickness of the plaster makes a difference. I have both new veneer work (1/8" thick) and some patches on old work (wood lath, metal stucco netting, two coats Structo-Lite and one coat Diamond brand).

Thanks, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

The advice isn't really conflicting.. the plaster people are telling you what's POSSIBLE, and the paint people are telling you what best-practice is. Wait the 90 days.

Reply to
default

A few days is reasonable if you use a latex paint.

RB

Wayne Whitney wrote:

Reply to
RB

People restoring old lime (vapno) washed houses in Czechoslovakia had a similar problem. They finally realized the great new German paints in a million colors weren't so great after all. Lime (and I'd guess plaster) needs a PERMEABLE paint if it's in a humid/rainy atmosphere. If a house can't breathe, it sweats--big trouble. (In all fairness I must add that these houses ranged between 100-600 years old and they were talking about outdoor paint. zemedelec

Reply to
Zemedelec