How long does it take a microwave oven to warm up?

FromTheRafters posted for all of us...

Get a Binford 6150 MMMMM More power.
--
Tekkie

In sci.electronics.repair, on Fri, 2 Dec 2016 16:22:34 -0500, Tekkie®

All my power tools are Binford.
micky wrote:

The heater in the magnetron tube takes a couple seconds to warm to the point where it will emit electrons. You can hear it easily on the old transformer microwaves, the fan starts and it begins to hum, then a couple seconds later the hum gets much louder. That louder hum is when the magnetron tube starts conducting.
Newer microwaves with switching power supplies may delay turning on the HV until the heater has warmed up, and they may not have that transformer hum, so it may be harder to tell when the RF comes on.
Jon
On Wed, 30 Nov 2016 17:16:05 -0600, Jon Elson wrote:

+1, You are the only one who did not lambast the OP for using the term 'warm up' to mean 'cause the ambient MW intensity to reach its operational range'.
When I am judging time for extremely small loads (like softening butter without liquifying it), I allow 4 seconds for my oven.
I find that the hum does not get louder though. Instead, I notice that the fan speed lowers a bit, presumably because the supply voltage for the fan is then being loaded down by the power consumption by the magnetron.
In sci.electronics.repair, on Wed, 30 Nov 2016 23:20:17 -0500, Mike

Just for the record, I consciously used the phrase, because it reminds me of simpler times, harmed only by the extra time it took to turn on the radio or tv. (In the movies, sometimes they would turn something on and it woudl start immediately. I did stay at a hotel once 8 years ago that was also operating in the 30's and it still had the remote speaker/channel selector for the central radio it used then. Each room had one and the patron could swtich between two or three stations, and adjust the volume, so when you turned it on, it went on immediately. Unfortunately, the hotel finally closed.)

I'm pretty sure mine is less tnan 4 seconds becuase I really have used 7 seconds and found noticeable heating, more than I think 3 seconds would have done, based on the prior 10 seconds.
BTW, if you get one of those slabs of chocolate chip cookies, precut, they say to cook them in a hot oven of course, but 37 seconds per square does a good job. Not like baked, but like a differen4 recipe.
Another reason to know the startup time is if I make two of them, it only has to start-up once, so it needs less than twice the time, but the instructions already say less than twice the time, and their differential is greater than 4 seconds. I think there is some reason for that other than start-up, warm-up time.

On Wednesday, November 30, 2016 at 6:12:39 PM UTC-5, Jon Elson wrote:

+1 exactly correct m
Stick a compact fluorescent light bulb in the Uwave. It wil normally glow as soon as the microwaves actually come into the oven from the magnetron. It should be less than 2 seconds from the time you push the start button.

My Panasonic inverter seems to take up to 3 seconds to get going. That device has a variable supply, which it can control heat output. Most others are instant on.
Food still is cooking when power is off. As it cools it's also heating cooler areas. Usuall recommended to wait one minute before eating. Enclosed containers also equalize heating by steam. The microwave is a bit over 2 inches in length, so not all parts receive equal heating. There is usually the rotating plate, but some have rotating devices in waveguide to spread out the waves to also help equalize.
Greg

+1 I was going to say the same thing. It depends on the microwave but my Panasonic is just like yours. So, 5 seconds is really 2 seconds and 10 seconds is really 7 seconds.
To the OP, two 5's is definitely not the same as one 10. As others said, you should be able to figure out the start-uip time for your particular oven.
Micky,
Heating improves the physical "eatability" of products and also beats the crap out of bacteria. If you cook for under the prescribed time to suit your tastes then you need to understand about the bacteria.. Don't poison yourself. Sorry, can't help you with cooking times.
Dave M.
When I tested it long ago, it took 2 seconds for the radiation to start hitting.
So a 2 second heating did nothing, a 3 second heating was actually 1 second, but a 60 second heating was 58 seconds which is close enough.
My wife has a strategy. If it needs 10 seconds, she hits 11, which lets her hit the same button twice instead of moving over to the zero and maybe missing. Same for 22, 33, 44 seconds. They're all close enough.
The way I tested it was to put a piece of wire in and watch for it to spark. I used a twist tie, bent in a rabbit ear antenna shape, at approximately the half wavelength. don't try this at home.
On 12/01/2016 07:44 AM, TimR wrote:

I discovered mine could be set for 90 seconds (normally an invalid entry, but it works), which saves a little work over the "130" (1 min 30 sec) you're supposed to use.

Once I microwaved one of he free AOL CDs.
--
24 days until the winter celebration (Sunday December 25, 2016 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).
On 11/30/2016 4:23 PM, micky wrote:

Pan fry your egg rolls, roll so four sides get crispy. Microwaved egg rolls just aren't worth eating. IMHO Mikek
On 12/01/2016 09:15 AM, amdx wrote:

Mostly I use the microwave for heating already-cooked food.
One exception is bacon.
--
24 days until the winter celebration (Sunday December 25, 2016 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).
In sci.electronics.repair, on Thu, 1 Dec 2016 09:15:49 -0600, amdx

I may take your suggestion if I can find the pan.
If I can find the oil.

It's a different taste sensation. Next I should try them with chocolate syrup!
On 11/30/2016 04:23 PM, micky wrote:
[snip]

I have an older microwave, that has only 700W. Most directions are for higher power. I find most things are OK if I add 25% to the cooking time. For example, if it says 3 minutes I use 3:45.
BTW, some people have said that if I got a new microwave, it would probably fail before the old one.
[snip]
--
24 days until the winter celebration (Sunday December 25, 2016 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).
On 12/1/2016 11:35 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

Maybe, we have one that was manufactured in 1983, still works fine, but we have two, and this one is not used as much.
Mikek