How do you work this humidifier

I have this new house with a Kenmore "Central Humidifier" mounted on the side of the furnace. There's an on/off switch and a water line that tees in to another water line with a valve. What do I do? Turn on the valve, then turn on the on/off? There are no instructions and I'm afraid if I do something in the wrong order, I'll either break it or have a mess. Thanks, we could really use this thing if it works.

Reply to
Brian Wolfe

Turn the small water valve on. Turn the humidifier ON. Find the humidistat, it may look similar to your house-hold thermostat. It's often a small controller box, possibly next to your thermostat or mounted near the humidifier / furnace. This controls when the humidifier will run based on the amount of humidity in the air. You might also open the access panel to make sure the water is getting into the humidifier. Most have a drum wheel covered with foam that rotates in a pan of water. Some others spray a fine mist of water. Open the panel and figure it out.

Cheers, Jim

Reply to
Play4aBuck

And the installers don't always bother installing a humidistat. The one in my home is wired so the little motor turning the foam wheel runs any time the forced air blower is running. It's apparently small enough in capacity so that it never overhumidifies the place during the heating season, but it's better than nothing.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia