How do you make those little rubber gaskets stay in the stems of faucets?

I've got a Sterling faucet, 2 handle, in my bathtub. It is leaking. I have tried, twice, replacing the assembly within it, by purchasing the Sterling Repair Kit WRing Handle Washerless kit. The BIG problem is the little rubber gasket that you have to put into the faucet's stem, just before you put it back into the wall. That stupid thing tends to fall out right as I'm putting it into the wall.

So, how do I make it so that the gasket stays put in the faucet's stem long enough for me to put the stem back into place?

Rod

Reply to
Rod

Plumber's putty.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

Really? I thought I had to put that lubricant stuff on instead of plumber's putty. OK, I can give it a try, thanks!

Rod

Reply to
Rod

I would not use plumber's putty. Get some silicone grease instead. It is tacky enough to hold the washer and is a lubricant.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress