How do you kill weeds in cement cracks?

On 6/9/2017 11:25 AM, trader_4 wrote:

My experience is that it does not degrade after many years. Even when being through a barn fire, but plastic jug untouched.
On Friday, June 9, 2017 at 2:41:31 PM UTC-5, Taxed and Spent wrote:

Same here, even mixed up and left outside over the winter it does not reduce it's potency.
On Friday, June 9, 2017 at 3:41:31 PM UTC-4, Taxed and Spent wrote:

reading more chemicals into the environment. It works by being absorbed int o plant leaves and has no effect on emergence. You can spray an area with r oundup to kill weeds and seed it just a few days later.

bsorption through the leaves. Agree that it's effective, I don't have any p roblem with it killing weeds in cracks either.

ire.

nths

t and

lons of glyphosate,50%,it will make hundreds of gallons. Or I could waste i t and just spray it on as is.

I would agree that the products I have used don't seem to degrade either, b ut there are many kinds of products and we have no idea what he has, becaus e he hasn't said. Also in my experience the roundup and ground clear type of products are effective for weeds in cracks, so something is wrong.
On 6/9/17 1:44 AM, mike wrote:

Look for pre emerge herbicides. Use of those plus the crop canopy are a couple of the farmer's weapons against weeds. This might sound odd but the main part of the weed could be outside of the crack. Some have roots that extend a long ways. The farmers here will know the term in an instant. Weed killers are a lot better than they were 30 years ago. Fields were weedy toward the end of the growing season back then. Now they're mostly clear even into early September.
On Fri, 9 Jun 2017 05:50:23 -0500, Dean Hoffman

The only stuff we are allowed to use up here today doesn't hold a candle to what was available 30, or even 15 years ago for effectiveness. It MIGHT be safer.

The old Roman trick to prevent anything from growing was to salt the land. However, that would be a pain in the ass and would probably do more damage to the concrete.
As you are pouring straight triox (bad, bad idea) into these gaps / cracks, it would seem you are not concerned about chemical contamination, if that is true, go buy a gallon of diesel fuel and pour it in the problem area. When I was a youngster, that is how we solved the issue you are describing. It's cheap, easy and not really great for the environment, but neither is what you are doing now.
It might take several treatments over a few weeks, but soon, you will not have weeds in the treated area,
On Friday, June 9, 2017 at 1:45:56 AM UTC-5, mike wrote:

ing more chemicals into the environment. It works by being absorbed into pl ant leaves and has no effect on emergence. You can spray an area with round up to kill weeds and seed it just a few days later.

I live in a 90+ year old neighborhood and some sidewalks are in worse shape than others and the city is slowly replacing those. Those older sidewalks have random cracks here and there and I will weed eat what I see springing up right down lever with the sidewalk. I have a large plastic bottle that I put the mixed Roundup in and then put a dishwashing detergent fliptop cap on this bottle so I direct a small stream of the weed killer on the whole crack. First time I did this I used one of those pump garden sprayers not realizing there was drift that day and ended up killing a lot of things that didn't need to be zapped.
Anyway, this treatment I do lasts until the next Spring.

ption through the leaves. Agree that it's effective, I don't have any probl em with it killing weeds in cracks either.

Head off to Home Depot and Lowe's and buy a bottle of Roundup that you will mix with water.

Just last week I treated a spot that was asphalt with a patch of weeds. It's free of whatever it was now. If weeds decide to try it again in that spot it will be next year before they reappear.

Try salt? ot oil?
On Thursday, June 8, 2017 at 6:26:31 PM UTC-4, mike wrote:

Weed killer will kill the weeds that are actively growing, but it will not kill the seeds that are still in the crack, which subsequently germinate and grow.
Keep using the weed killer every time weeds grow back.
Home ownership/maintenance requires constant vigilance and dogged persistence.
Cindy Hamilton

That could be a problem. You are supposed to spray the foliage. Not pour on the roots.
On Friday, June 9, 2017 at 3:44:35 PM UTC-5, Don Wiss wrote:

Pouring a diluted solution works as well as spraying. See my post about sidewalk cracks.
On Fri, 9 Jun 2017 18:24:25 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann

cutting the weeds first defeats Glsysophate herbicides like roundup. They need to be absorbed through the leaves. If your method works, it is getting on enough leaves to do the job.
On Fri, 09 Jun 2017 22:24:10 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in

+1
On Friday, June 9, 2017 at 10:24:09 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

+1
On Thursday, June 8, 2017 at 6:26:31 PM UTC-4, mike wrote:

gasoline kills vegatation fast

Here's a web site reference - biut it only goes back to 1931 - - so it might not apply to your childhood ... :-)
https://inflationdata.com/articles/inflation-adjusted-prices/inflation-adjusted-gasoline-prices/
John T.
On Saturday, June 10, 2017 at 8:26:13 AM UTC-5, bob haller wrote:

But the effects do not last as long as a weed killer such as Roundup. For years I used gasoline for those cracks in my sidewalk with the weeds reappearing in about 4 months. One treatment with a weed killer last until the next year.
On Saturday, June 10, 2017 at 4:59:51 PM UTC-4, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

Actually one of the advantages of Roundup is that it has no persistence. Yo u can spray it on an area to kill everything and plant seeds immediately. U sually the limiting factor is that you want to wait a week for the stuff to die before re-seeding. If you want to keep new plants from growing too, t here are other products, eg ground clear.
For years I used gasoline for those cracks in my

On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 13:59:48 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann

Roundup only kills what is growing at the time. Within about 2 weeks it has deteriorated to 50% , and there is virtually no carryover after 2 months. With regular roundup you can reseed gras within 10 days.
On Saturday, June 10, 2017 at 10:00:23 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

More confusion. With regular roundup, ie glyphosate, you can re-seed in just 3 days. And if you're using one of the long term roundup products, then it's blocking effect lasts many months.